Gold Star Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fireengines

A friend of my wife lost his son in Iraq in 2004. A gold star pen would be a great tribute to his son's ultimate sacrifice. How would a gold star pen be designed? Does anyone currently make one?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fireengines

For those you you who do not know what a Gold Star family member is.

At the conclusion of World War II, Congress established the Gold Star Lapel Button to provide an appropriate means to identify widows and widowers, children, parents, brothers and sisters of members of the Armed Forces of the United States who lost their lives in the defense of democracy and freedom during the World Wars I and II; and any subsequent armed hostilities in which the United States became engaged.

D.Oliver

I suppose you could make a decal and put it on the pen. Or possibly do it the way Seamus makes his state flags for his quarter blanks which would involve getting the image wrapped on the tube and then casting it under clear resin. I don't know his exact process but you could ask him about it. He might be able to help you out. If you decide to try the decal route there is a lot of info on the forum about making and applying them. Hope this helps.

terryf

LOL Derek, when I saw the picture I immediately thought of Seamus and his quarter casting.

Then I looked on ebay and found a mint original for $6 and even if it isnt original, who cares.

Cast into an American flag on something like a jr statesman would look stunning!!!

Good luck :)

Fireengines

Thanks!

Trying to preserve the gold star and background, I thought the center of the pin could be removed and placed as a cap inlay on a patriotic Statesman pen. I will know more when I get the pin that Terry posted.

Last edited:

IPD_Mr

That is too cool. Good thinking Terry! Looking forward to seeing the end results if everything comes to fruition.

flyitfast

Just a thought -
How about putting one in the finial of a larger pen?
Knock out the original insert and find a star that would fit.

I have done that with Texas conchos of the size you are talking about.
gordon

fiferb

I know you're thinking of using the pin, but you may also consider the banner. (Without the blue star unless they have another family member currently serving.)

I have both of these so feel free to ask for advice from someone that's been there.:frown:

Attachments

• Gold Star Pin.jpg
    Gold Star Pin.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 82
  • Service Banner with gold star.jpg
    Service Banner with gold star.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Top Bottom