gold plating -- 10k, 24k, cobalt, titanium, woodcraft, oh my!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rick_lindsey

Ok, now I'm confused. I think I understand what 10k and 24k platings are, I think I also have a vague idea of what titanium-gold plating is, but what are "cobalt" and "woodcraft" gold platings?

thanks!

-Rick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ok, now I'm confused. I think I understand what 10k and 24k platings are, I think I also have a vague idea of what titanium-gold plating is, but what are "cobalt" and "woodcraft" gold platings?

thanks!

-Rick

"Value added" terms.

"Woodcraft" gold is similar to Berea "upgrade" gold - both are similar to "mystery meat" in college. You don't know what's in it, but they say it's good!!!

Actually, I used "Upgrade" gold before they had Titanium gold - far as I know, none of them "wore off". But, I did not make hundreds, maybe 30-40.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
"Value added" terms.

"Woodcraft" gold is similar to Berea "upgrade" gold - both are similar to "mystery meat" in college. You don't know what's in it, but they say it's good!!!

Actually, I used "Upgrade" gold before they had Titanium gold - far as I know, none of them "wore off". But, I did not make hundreds, maybe 30-40.
As far as I know, the woodcraft gold is titanium gold, not upgrade. The cobalt gold is the same as the upgrade gold. I have kits from woodcraft that are marked both as woodcraft and titanium golds.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Neil,

That is possible, now. But "Woodcraft" gold came out long before "titanium" gold was in the industry. It could have CHANGED!!!! Don't know.

mick

Ed that was my understanding too...that "Woodcraft Gold" was Gold Titanium...but I'm esaily mistaken...just ask Connie. If price is any indicator it's comparable to Titanium even factoring in WC's slightly higher price

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey guys!

If it's titanium and we all know titanium is GOOD, why wouldn't WoodCraft (ready for this??) Call it TITANIUM?????????

rick_lindsey

Aha! They have an article :)

http://www.woodcraft.com/articles.aspx?articleid=428

They say Cobalt Gold "is equal or superior to what others sell as their premium quality! Adding Cobalt Palladium to the plating process dramatically increases the durability of the gold plating"

And "Woodcraft Gold" is supposedly a "revolutionary, high-tech titanium gold plating process"

Of course they claim all of their platings, including "Standard Gold" give "a long lasting finish"

-Rick

MobilMan

My wife has one of my first slimlines I made & still uses it after 3 1/2-4 yrs. Used every day and used to carry it in her purse. 24kt Woodcraft. A couple of months ago I put it up next a new kit. I can't see any diff. in the color of the kit parts. I'm not saying other kits wear faster, but I've always had good luck with these kits. Any I've gotten from them. The finish has worn down somewhat on the blanks.

mick

Hey guys!

If it's titanium and we all know titanium is GOOD, why wouldn't WoodCraft (ready for this??) Call it TITANIUM?????????

In the catalog where they explain platings they say Their 24 kt gold has a base or foundation of titanium to make it more durable....doesn't exactly sound like they way AS or CSUSA explains the process does It? So titanium is mentioned in the catalog, but I've never felt totally reassured when I have to a kit or three cause I'm short on time.
Just a thought but most WC kits I've bought have the WC label slapped right over the Berea Label.....catalog number and all. I'll go down stairs later and peel one off and see what the numbers are. I've got a couple of Seirras and Churchills I bought the other day.
Ed I'll report back!

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Hey guys!

Can't quite figure that one out. But why do they call a Baron a Navigator and a Sierra a Wall Street? It is just what they do. They don't make their own pen kits, they just resell others.

JayDevin

For a while AS was the only one in the USA that could Sell a "Baron" so calling it a "Navigator" got around that exclusive banner...may be the same with the Wall St vs Sierra....

Top Bottom