Gold nibs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
There has been a lot of discussion about using a better quality gold nib in the pens that we make. Here is everything I know about doing that. Others may have tread the same path, and I hope they are willing to share their information.

There are nibs available that can be made to fit with an adapter, but there are none that are available with the SAME thread as used in the kits.

Thanks to info from Richard Kleinhenz, I have just received a nib from Bexley that will accept the same cartridge and reservoir as the kits. It is a fine quality nib, and seems to have the flexibility that I want in a pen. The cost is $54 each in lots of one (1). It will be easy to make an adapter for this nib, but that will have to wait until June when we get back from our 3-month trip around the Country this Spring.

There are probably pen nibs out there that will fit, and others that can be adapted, but the ink cartridge and reservoir are always the problem with making them work. My personal pen uses a Waterman nib that came from the pen I got as a high school graduation present. It was an almost perfect fit, with the help of a little LockTite to hold it in place, into the end of the Parker-style pen. I added a 2nd cap to the pen so I could get at the bladder and squeeze it by hand to fill the pen rather than attempt to duplicate the lever mechanism. I am willing to do that, but it isn't something I could sell to anyone.

Any of the nib manufacturers will make a nib with any thread we want provided we order their minimum quantity. That number is 500 for Schmidt, and it may be only 250 for Bexley. Someone may find a better deal from another manufacturer.

None of the kit manufacturers show even the slightest interest in making these nibs available. Several of us have asked.

All of these nibs are multiple lead metric threads, and will require some way to cut the threads in either a brass or plastic (preferred) adapter. It is possible that it could be done on one of our little wood lathes with a tap and die set, if you can find them in the right sizes, and at a reasonable price.

The better way to do them is to invest in a small metal lathe with a metric lead screw so the threads can be cut with a single point tool. This is not for everyone, but it is the only clean and accurate way to make an adapter.

Is there someone out there who thinks that making the adapters might be a business opportunity??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

This is the link to the company in Germany that makes Bexley's and other companies nibs. Both steel and gold. I am going to call them tomarrow.(hope somebody speaks english there). I was going to send them a Statesmen and a Jr. nib. I was going to check the cost on a gold nib with threaded holder in metal & plactic. Will will see where it goes.

http://www.thesouthernscribe.com/PenArticles/Nibs.htm

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by penworks
<br />This is the link to the company in Germany that makes Bexley's and other companies nibs. Both steel and gold. I am going to call them tomarrow.(hope somebody speaks english there). I was going to send them a Statesmen and a Jr. nib. I was going to check the cost on a gold nib with threaded holder in metal & plactic. Will will see where it goes.

http://www.thesouthernscribe.com/PenArticles/Nibs.htm
I'd be very interested to hear how this goes. For the right price, a group purchase wouldn't be out of the question.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Sure hope you get some nib-bles when you call tomorrow [:)]

...besides good information, thats a very interesting site..

..thanks Anthony.!.and all.

woodscavenger

I think we would have to do a poll and figure out which kit is the most common fountain kit people use. This brings me to a question about compatibility. Do the Gent & Statesman and the Jr. series share any common threads as far as the nib section go? How about the Baron?

btboone

The adapters wouldn't be bad to make. They could be brass, stainless, aluminum or whatever. If I weren't so slammed with the rings I'd do some. I have 25 rings for today. Doh! It's never the easy ones either. It sounds like Fred or Paul might be able to do some.

PenWorks

Frouline, specken se doutch. Oh well, a dego could never speak german. Anyways, Karen did speak better english than my german. She was very accomidating, After we had a good laugh when she thought I was calling to make 1 nib, we had a good conversation. I am sending off the two nibs to them to see what they can come up with.

My thoughts are to make it easily available to every one. Make the nib and threading housing just as we get them. This way instead of threading a steel nib, you can just thread a gold nib. If the client won't pay for the gold nib, than you have an option to sell the steel nib by just unscrewing the nib.

Goot en bockin

3/1/05

Just talked again to Karin today regarding the gold nibs, some things to think about when ordering.........
18K vs 14K she definately did not wan to go there, to her, there is no difference in the flex or any other bennefits, other thatn 18K costs more.
Decoration, all yellow, cost the least, then all rhodium plate, then two tone. Then the stamping on the nib.
Their minimum is 300 pieces per writing grade,(F,M,B) will do 100 peices for cost increase.
So I am sending the samples off to Heir Froline.......
Will keep you posted.

Anthony

woodscavenger

Back on topic. Why do we need to deal with threading? I took a Baron FP nib section apart. The nib just pulls out of the plastic hub and is easy to slide back in and realign. If the other kits do the same we can use the original parts from the pen and just push the new nib in place. Is this an option?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Shane--it is possible in theory but that's as far as it goes. The nib and feed mechanism are engineering to work in tandem. There is no standardization in either. Then the nib/feed assembly is fitted to the nib holder. Again, there is no standard sizing for this fitting. The holder is engineered to fit the end of the barrel design. Once again, there is no standard. While all of these could be re-cut, I believe that the end result would be intensely time-consuming, could potentially have engineering problems that are not accounted for and would be difficult to reproduce without a CNC machine. Since it's the nib that is the most complex and costly item, it seems prudent to have a complete assembly that is designed to "plug-in" to one or more of the readily available kits. Just my (never) humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom