Gold centerband ring loose on Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Petricore

I just turned a Gentlemens pen (one of my best to date) and the gold ring in the centerband is loose enough to spin, to the point where potential customers comment on it and put it back :( Is there an easy way to fix this ? I don't recall that band spinning on previous Gent kits I've made.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

The gold ring is usually loose, and simply held by pressure from the Rhodium ring above it, which is pressed on at the factory. You may try simply pressing the cap a little to see if it will tighten up, but don't get too carried away, or you may crack your cap. If that don't work you may need to disassemble the cap, and put the center band assy on something solid, then use a press block the same size as the tube to tighten it up. If that don't work, the last resort is to use a press block to actually remove the gold and top rhodium band, or at least move it up about half way, then take and spread a very thin coat of med ca under them, and the repress them tight.

However if you have gone to the trouble of getting that far, you might consider simply removing the gold band, turning one from the leftover blank that would match, and installing it.

Of course if you've progressed that far down the slippery slope, you will need to knock out the gold finial and custom make one of those. Then there is turning a matching nib cover, and the list goes on and on :) Enjoy!!

redfishsc

You can also call CSA and have them replace the part. Trust me, they have a lot of practice at mailing out that exact replacement part.

But that also means that you'll have to disassemble the pen.

I've made it a practice that I hand-check that part for any Gent I order as soon as it comes in so I can get on the horn and have it replaced.

ldb2000

With all the posts about CA outgassing (for months in some cases) I would be reluctant to use CA .
My advice (which is worth exactly what you paid for it) would be to use some "LocTite" (I use the red) to keep the band from spinning but you will have to disassemble the pen to do it right .

Petricore

That really stinks. I tried a press block before assembly but for some reason still assembled it... I would be very very upset if I ruined the wood blanks disassembling it, are the gents hard to disassemble without ruining the kit ?

Fred

If you are careful and get the kit disassembled successfully, I would use a tiny drop of clear epoxy placed on the part using a toothpich as an applicator and then carefully reassemble the offending part. I would think the clear epoxy would not be as noticable as anything with any coloration might show. JM.02CW (Jusy My $.02 Cents Worth) ...

Top Bottom