Going to turn my first pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Spec Grade

Any advice? I've already obtained dry wood, and drilled it correctly for the pen kit.
Any other advice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithkarl2007

Don't forget to rough up the tubes with 120 grit sandpaper
smackbottomcq3.gif

Last edited:

Chief Hill

Ahh where to start? What kind of kit? What type of glue? There is a ton of steps to go through here? Exactly what do you need to know?

Majorbdk

Oh, one thing I learned tonight.... don't drill the blanks too fast. I was rushing and pushed a little too hard. When I backed out, it popped burning wood in my face. Right over my glasses into the corner of my eye. Didn't get in my eye but burnt the corner. It is painful. YES, I'M STUPID. LOL

Daniel

I hae a real important bit of advice, take your time and enjoy it. Then when you are done keep it, you will never have a first again.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Full Face shield would help ya some.

Oh, one thing I learned tonight.... don't drill the blanks too fast. I was rushing and pushed a little too hard. When I backed out, it popped burning wood in my face. Right over my glasses into the corner of my eye. Didn't get in my eye but burnt the corner. It is painful. YES, I'M STUPID. LOL

ldb2000

Full Face shield would help ya some.
1+++ on this one . In your rush to make that first pen ALWAYS wear eye protection . If you put out an eye on the first one you will have a very short run at being a penturner !!!
Safety should be JOB#1 . A full face shield is better then a pair of safety goggles , but even those are better then nothing .
I'm working on a new design with allot of tricky cuts to be made and have had several spectacular catastrophic failures of blanks that sent shrapnel flying in all directions at full speed , without my full face shield my eyes would most likely have taken a number of hits .

Spec Grade

Well, I made a rookie mistake. I glued the brass tubes in with CA glue, and let it dry. Then I forgot to mill the ends, and I stuck it on the mandrel. It turned ok, but the bushing slipped into the end of the wood, and split one side out. That's ok, I won't forget that anytime soon again. Good thing I bought extra brass tubes.
I'm trying to make a Slimline pen from PSI.

bracky1

Spend a bit of time on the finish, on my first, I was so keen to see a finished pen I neglected to put a decent finish on it :wink:

Top Bottom