Going to give an FP a try

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi Folks:

I am not really into fountain pens, but maybe I would be if I made them myself. When it comes to FPs does it pay to buy the PSI and CSUSA under $15 kits? I am not interested in selling; maybe I will use myself. I just don't want to get frustrated by the quality of the pen. What would you start out with to see if FP will be to your liking?

Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TLTHW

FP

My daily use pen for the last year is a black ti Baron FP. I have made several Junior gent and Triton fountain pens but like the size of the Baron best. Once I got used to a fountain pen....ball points seem awkward to write with.

TonyL

Thank you Dave. I thought (for no good reason) that one had to spend north of $30 for a decent FP kit. I will give your advice a try. Thanks!

magpens

My daily use pen for the last year is a black ti Baron FP. I have made several Junior gent and Triton fountain pens but like the size of the Baron best. Once I got used to a fountain pen....ball points seem awkward to write with.

Did you stick with the kit-supplied nib, or did you upgrade ? Thanks

jsolie

Hi Tony,

I made my first fountain pen last year. It was a black ti Jr. Gent. I used the ink cartridge that came with the kit and the stock nib for a couple months. Next was going to bottled ink and using the converter. Next was upgrading the nib. Now I've got a nice little collection of them and made a couple for my son in law.

TLTHW

Did you stick with the kit-supplied nib, or did you upgrade ? Thanks

Stuck with the kit nib on the Baron. I had to do a minor tune but it still writes smooth after a year of abuse.

Joey-Nieves

John:
I make lot's of fountain pens, there are some things to keep in mind; I like sections that can have the nibs replaced, barons have the feed glued to the section (at least the ones I've bought), they also have plastic threads at the back for posting, these threads tend to ware. Overall the baron is a nice beginners pen, and for about $6 well...
The gentlemen and the statesmen pens are very nice and well made and are very elegant, the nice part about them is the tread are metal and I've never had one returned with a problem.
CSUSA does not have a big amount of FP, they have a nice Americana roller ball that I like and convert to FB by using the section from the Signature pen, the disadvatage is that the 10 k gold will scratch unless you do some modification when assembling, they are both snap cap pens,
Exotic Blanks has a nice supply of FP they carry the BEREA line and you can find some nice kits for under $20, althogh the nicest pens are between $25 and $50. I find the PSI majestic is superb for about $27 you get a elegant pen that if you don't get the hang of it you can always turn it into a rollerball.

Joey

Reactions: Big

monophoto

Tony

I'm a FP user and I've made a number for myself and friends.

Two things to be aware of. First, there are two distinctly different designs for FPs - those that use a 'snap cap' to hold the cap in place, and those where the cap screws onto the body. As an FP user, I prefer screw caps - the snap cap design allows the feed to dry out more quickly which means that if you don't use a pen for a few days, it might not write immediately when you do start using it.

And as a pen turner, I find the snap caps to be a nuisance to assemble. You have to screw a small, untapped piece of plastic onto a threaded stud under the cap finial - the instructions tell you to insert a special tool (or a No 2 Phillips screwdriver) into the cap to screw it in place, but my experience is that that approach doesn't work very well. I've found that its easier to thread the plastic cap first using a metric tap, but then there is the issue that if the plastic is threaded, it will too easily unscrew from that stud, so you then have to apply a small drop of thick CA to the threads before assembly. And I've also had the unfortunate experience of having the plastic snap cap break - which really complicates things if you are only doing one or two pens.

The second issue is that all FP kits require at least a 10mm drill, and often something quite a bit larger. 10mm is fine, but I can't justify the cost of a special set of drill bits for the larger kits, so I've stayed with 10mm kits. Unfortunately, the selection of 10mm kits is very limited (mostly snap caps).

TonyL

PM sent to you. Thank you. I have bits from 7mm to 12.5 and larger (doubles and triples of many). Looking forward to learning more.

Sandsini

Tony,
My first (personal) fountain pen was a full Statesman that I added a gilded Bock nib to. I figured that since I was selling FPs I needed to add to my knowledge, and nothing does that better than using one every day. Since then I have become evangelical about FPs. The information everyone has provided above is all good. Like I said, I changed my nib, but after reading the recent post about Dyacom, Bock and Jowo nibs all being made by Jowo, it may not be necessary to upgrade (but probably a good idea for higher end pens offered for sale).

One thing not mentioned is ink. I use the screw type converter so that I can try different colors and types of ink easily and I recommend this, plus its just a real FP geek thing to do. I've only tried a few inks, but I can tell you that they make a big difference in the writing experience. My current favorite is Pilot's Iroshizuku line. There are tons of interesting colors available. Currently I am enjoying the Tsuki-Yo (deep teal) over everything else.

I suggest that you try a good quality kit, experiment with it and have some fun. It's part of the pen making culture and when you use it in front of someone else, its an instant conversation starter.

Top Bottom