Going Broke Saving $

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

papNal

Good morning,just a couple of questions about tools.I'm considering getting a spindlemaster which is pretty pricey but noticed that PSI has a version they call Versa-chisel.Does anyone have any experience to compare the two?I'm sure the Sorby is a better tool,but is it worth the $ difference?
One last question,I'm also looking to get some type chuck for my Jet 1014 to hold blanks etc. nothing fancy.PSI shows a Barracuda for $139 and a Barracuda 3 for $129,is the extra $10 for the Barracuda worth while? Thanks for any help.:confused:pap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
I would read the description of teh chucks and see if you can find a difference. Or you may contact PSI and ask em what the differences are.

As for the spindlemaster question, i don't even know what that tool is (yet) so i cannot answer. I can tell you this, I have a standard set of chisels and can do pretty much any turning tasks. What i didn't get with the set of hand tools, i made. Now i have probably 10 or 12 hand tools.

BigguyZ

I would read the description of teh chucks and see if you can find a difference. Or you may contact PSI and ask em what the differences are.

As for the spindlemaster question, i don't even know what that tool is (yet) so i cannot answer. I can tell you this, I have a standard set of chisels and can do pretty much any turning tasks. What i didn't get with the set of hand tools, i made. Now i have probably 10 or 12 hand tools.

I believe the Barracuda 3 is a micro chuck, for small items. I'd go with the Barracuda 2 for your 1014 (which is whatI have).

However, I'd go with the Barracuda 2 T/N version, as it includes an indexing ring on the chuck, an insert to add a spur drive without removing the chuch, and additional jaws for turning the bottom of bowls. All-in-all, a better value in the long run- especially if you turn bowls. I got the standard Barracuda 2, and I wish I got the upgraded version... Now I have no indexing, and will have to pay more for the face grip jaws anyways...

dankc908

I tried the Spindlemaster (borrowed from a friend) and he and I both agreed that it was a glorified scraper and we had better luck with our gouges and, at least for myself, my skew.

Jim Smith

I have the Sorby Spindlemaster and find it to be a useful tool especially for removing that last bit on a delicate blank before you're ready to start sanding. Almost no chance of a serious catch with this tool and it is super easy to sharpen.

Jim Smith

Randy_

.....I'm also looking to get some type chuck for my Jet 1014 to hold blanks etc. nothing fancy.PSI shows a Barracuda for $139 and a Barracuda 3 for $129,is the extra $10 for the Barracuda worth while? Thanks for any help.:confused:pap

John: If you have the PSI paper catalog, there is a chart on page 61 that compares all of the chucks item by item. You might be able to see the chart if PSI has their paper catalog on line??

Anyway, I would say the Barracuda is clearly well worth the extra 10 bucks. As mentioned earlier, the "3" is a micro chuck and would only be the preferred choice if you were planning to do a lot work with miniature projects.

dow

An anltenative

FWIW, I got this chuck from Woodcraft: 1" x 8 TPI Self-Centering 4-Jaw Chuck, and it's worked fine for me so far. Folks said that the tommybars would be a big pain, but I haven't had the least bit of trouble with them. Additionally, you can get different inserts for them to fit different sized spindles, and they've got several different sized jaws that you can get as well. The price was pretty good, too.

And don't ask me what "anltenative" means. I have no ideal. :D

Last edited:

ldb2000

I have the Barracuda 2 and love it , but I use my PSI collet chuck much , much more . It all depends on what you are going to be turning with it . If you will only be doing pens and are looking for better precision then the collet chuck is the better way to go but if you are going to be doing any bowls or boxes then the BC2 is the way to go .

BigguyZ

I have the Barracuda 2 and love it , but I use my PSI collet chuck much , much more . It all depends on what you are going to be turning with it . If you will only be doing pens and are looking for better precision then the collet chuck is the better way to go but if you are going to be doing any bowls or boxes then the BC2 is the way to go .

I'm curious- why would you say the collet chuck is more precise? Also, do you have to round yout blanks before drilling?

ldb2000

I'm curious- why would you say the collet chuck is more precise? Also, do you have to round yout blanks before drilling?
The collet chuck by design is more precise then a scroll chuck , it also don't have moving jaws that can introduce movement and runout .
Yes you do have to round the blanks for drilling but it only adds a minute or two and insures the hole will be drilled dead center of the blank .

On Edge

First, I'd recommend that you check the prices of the PSI tools your considering at Amazon.com. I've bought both the Barracuda 2 and a pair of Versa Chisels both at a discount compared to the pricing if purchased direct from PSI. Plus you get free shipping !

The quality of the versa chisels as received was more than a little spotty. The tips were covered with some protectant but there must have been moisture trapped because the 3/4" chisel was rusty under the protectant. The ground edge was also not symetrical. As delivered both chisels were ground as if the tool were rotated around the underside radius which I believe provided the potential for a catch if you weren't careful in how you presented the tool to the work piece. I've reshaped the cutting edge as if it had an Irish grind which reduced the potential but did not eliminate catches completely. I also honed the flat top surface to elimeinate all grind marks.

Following this work which took less than two hours in total I can put an absoloutely miror smooth surface on an acrylic blank. However, I'm totally unimpressed with the finish I get turning many woods, especially burls.

The bottom line is that I find the chisels great for acrylics. I even use the 3/4" to turn brass which I believe it does better than any thing else I've
ever tried. The next best thing was a home made chisel similar in design which I made out of a piece of 3/8" M2 pre hardened drill rod.

The bottom line is that I really don't think I'd spend the money for the spindlemaster. I simply don't believe there can be that much differance. Look at this way if you buy the chuck at Amazon you can add the set of two chisels and it will still be less than what it would cost if you ordered the chuck from PSI.

BigguyZ

The collet chuck by design is more precise then a scroll chuck , it also don't have moving jaws that can introduce movement and runout .
Yes you do have to round the blanks for drilling but it only adds a minute or two and insures the hole will be drilled dead center of the blank .

Cool, I'll have to look into picking one up. Though for this next batch, I will probably have to stick with my Barracuda 2.... ;)

I should mention that I also have a Versa Chisel set from PSI- bought from Amazon. It was defferent than I expected, and before I even tried using the profile was it was, I re-ground it to be a more straight profile (took some time). But I deiniftely use that as one of my primary tools. I like scrapers- had less issues than using a skew, and I get cuts plenty smooth.

Top Bottom