Gluing tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Double J

I'll guess that this question has been asked before, but since I'm new to turning and this site I would like to know if it's OK to use medium CA to glue tubes. And if so how long do I wait before turning the blank? Thanks Jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RogerC

You'll get lots of answers on this. Some use CA exclusively with no issue. Others use only epoxy.

I started with CA glue and had a couple of blow-outs due to insufficient glue coverage, so I switched to Gorilla glue and haven't had any issues since.

WriteON

I'll guess that this question has been asked before, but since I'm new to turning and this site I would like to know if it's OK to use medium CA to glue tubes. And if so how long do I wait before turning the blank? Thanks Jeff

I'll answer for myself. I only use medium CA. I leave it dry for 8 hours or overnight. One reason for waiting is the CA is all over the outside of the blank. I let it cure before handling. Before glueing I plug each end of the tube with pink dental base plate wax.

Welcome to IAP.

Last edited:

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
That is what I use. I usually do 3 or 4 pens worth. By the time I have end milled all set, I am ready to go. As a safeguard, I spray the ends of the blanks with accelerator which probably has no effect, but I do it anyway.I liberally glue the end of tube and as I insert it, I rotate it to spread glue around the tube. It works for me. Be sure to sand the tube to give the Ca something to grip.

More4dan

I use med CA and usually I'm turning within 5-10 min. I make sure I add CA to the hole one end of the blank, then add CA to the tube and insert in the opposite end of the blank. That way as the CA smears off the tube upon inserting, it encounters CA already in the blank. It assures good coverage and I've not had a blow out since doing it this way. I also use modeling clay to plug the end of my tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

leehljp

Member Liaison
If you find yourself turning pens and having a few blowouts, look closely at the area that came apart and see where the glue adhered and where it did not. You will be surprised at how much space between the tube and blank does not have glue adherence.

For this reason, some use Epoxy, but epoxy does similar to CA in having gaps inside. For a great adhesion, polyurethane glues do best, but they have to be treated differently. The tubes should be taped in, or the expanding polyurethane glue will push the tube out as it expands. Poly glue takes 6 to 12 hours, I think but I usually do it over night.

Using medium and even thick CA is fine in most cases. 10 to 30 minutes usually worked good for me.

turncrazy43

Medium CA is great for wood blanks. But on acrylics that can be seen thru you will have to paint the tubes or the inside of the drilled blank. CA glue reacts with the paint and will remove the paint or make it uneven and the turned blank may not be very pleasing to the eye. For the acrylics I us 15 minute epoxy and let sit overnight to assure the epoxy is fully cured. This method has worked for me for years.

Turncrazy43

acc78

I've had blow outs using CA, epoxy, and clear gorilla glue, but never had a blow out with the original gorilla glue, i like it as it does expand to fill the gaps better!

When i first started turning, i did not plug the tubes before gluing, what a mess, not i use a have a small container of playdoh that i use to plug the ends, costs about 60 cents.

Woodchipper

My grandson and I took penturning classes at Woodcraft on two different occasions. Both times, pens were turned in a matter of minutes after gluing the tube. I believe it was Titebond Thick CA. That is what I use. Gorilla Glue will expand to take up any space between the tube and blank. FWIW, many custom fishing rod builders didn't use it to glue up cork rings for grips as it made a mess with the glue coming out of the glue line.
For acrylics- I bought some white painted tubes for Slimline kits at Woodcraft.
Exotic Blanks has a good video on gluing tubes. Thanks, Ed!

Last edited:

MRDucks2

I started out with thick CA and had tube movement about 10-15% of the time. I them switched to medium CA and had fewer issues. I use Locktite 5 minute epoxy in the two bottles right now and typically turn with 30 minutes. I usually have some glue on the ends of the blank, so when it is dry, I start prepping for turning.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Woodchipper

FWIW, used the 5 minute epoxy once.....and the last time. Almost got stuck in the middle of the inserting a rod blank in the grip!! Went with Two Ton epoxy- about 30 minute working time.

Space2628

CA is very unforgiving and there is not a lot of working time. I use the 5 minute epoxy and only mix enough to glue 3 or 4 tubes. I've turned pens after letting the epoxy cure for 15 minutes and had good luck but normally I let it cure over night. Make sure u plug the tube with dental wax or play dough or you will be spending time scraping out dried epoxy and that can be a challenge.

If you decide to use CA set the tube as quickly as possible and then don't try to reposition especially with wood blanks.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Medium CA does not set up very quickly UNLESS you have a hot blank (just drilled) or have moisture in the hole (again, just drilled with water lube). Thin CA sets up VERY fast, avoid using it.

I have done thousands of pens with CA, they blow up only if my turning technique goes to he!! in the middle of making a pen, which still happens from time to time.

RogerC

If you find yourself turning pens and having a few blowouts, look closely at the area that came apart and see where the glue adhered and where it did not. You will be surprised at how much space between the tube and blank does not have glue adherence.

For this reason, some use Epoxy, but epoxy does similar to CA in having gaps inside. For a great adhesion, polyurethane glues do best, but they have to be treated differently. The tubes should be taped in, or the expanding polyurethane glue will push the tube out as it expands. Poly glue takes 6 to 12 hours, I think but I usually do it over night.

Using medium and even thick CA is fine in most cases. 10 to 30 minutes usually worked good for me.
FWIW, I've been using original Gorilla glue for my past 50 pens or so and have never had a tube push out due to glue expansion.

WriteON

I have done thousands of pens with CA, they blow up only if my turning technique goes to he!! in the middle of making a pen, which still happens from time to time.

I will support this. I do not think any glue will prevent a blow out. It's all about the chisel and operator.

Top Bottom