Gluing problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I know I've seen this problem answered before but it will be quicker for me to ask again than look it up. I used 60 min epoxy to glue a tube in a blank 3 days ago and today the epoxy was still tacky. I was pretty careful to get the mix right and mixed it well....It is cool in my basement where the glue has been curing and it is a bit humid in this part of the world (but not near as bad as Eastern Texas). Any ideas what might be the problem.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

steeler fan1

Smitty,

The temp and humidity can certainly affect the curing. Mixing could also cause a problem as well as old glue. At any rate if it hasn't cured by now its not likely it will. I'd pull it apart, clean it up and re-glue with different glue. Also, try curing in a different loaction.

Just an aside, I build golf clubs as a regular job. We glue hundreds of clubs everyday without any problems. Our glueing area is in the basement, not much in the way of temp/humidity control, (couple big fans), without any drying problems. We use mostly 24 hr 2 part epoxy, although we do use 30 and 5 min epoxy now and then. It does happen but not often.

Good luck.
Carl

louie68

I use thick ca glue on my tubes never a problem and im turning my barrels 5 mins later.may i ask why epoxy glue?

DurocShark

Age, mix, temperature, etc etc etc.

I like Gorilla Glue for anything that's not wood. The next day it's ready to go.

johnnycnc

Smitty, I had this happen a few times with epoxy.
I wrote it off to old epoxy, and/or me just not getting it mixed well enough.
I think it may have been me, getting lazy.
I usually do a test blob now and check for hardness before proceeding
since it is some mighty sticky crap to clean up.
I still like it well enough to use it.

Lenny

I had the same thing happen recently ... when I went to trim the blank with my barrel trimmer, it came right out. :eek: Made it easier to re-glue it back in at least. :biggrin:
I think I had some bad glue (or I just didn't mix it well) :redface:
Must have been bad glue! :wink:

I will say this for epoxy, I've only had that problem once so far. I had many failures when I started and used CA glue on my tubes.

Epoxy or Gorrilla glue for me!

Top Bottom