Gluing "Problem"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dankc908

I have switched from CA to Gorilla Glue for the pen tubes. I have noticed, a few times, that the glue doesn't seem to hold on some acrylics. I coat the inside of the blank with the glue and then put the tube in water. I insert the tube into the blank and let it set for 24 hours. I do have an occasional tube 'break loose' when I am 'turning to round'. Am I doing something wrong? Should I go back to the CA? Any thoughts and advise would be greatly appreciated!

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

Dan, I switched to Gorilla glue almost exclusively last year. I have had NO separations or failures of any kind. I like this glue over epoxy because is has some minor gap filling capability. This procedure works for me:
1. put small amount of glue on tube then spread with pop sickle stick.
2. dampen the inside of the blank with a q-tip swab.
3. Twist tube during insertion.
4. Place painter tape or rubber band on ends to prevent tube from moving out of blank. This has not happened to me, yet.
5. Cure over night. Take an x-acto knife and cut the expanded glue from inside the tube. It usually just pops out.

Good luck.

GaryMGg

John,
If you don't do a lot of pens over a short period of time, how does the unused Gorilla hold up? That is, does a lot of glue go to waste.
Thanks,
Gary

jskeen

Here in Houston, I have never been able to keep Gorilla glue, or any poly glue for a reasonable amount of time. Even in the smallest bottles, I still waste 70 to 80 percent just due to ambient humidity. I use thick CA to glue tubes in and just consider the occasional tube separation to be part of living on the coast.

Rangertrek

Gary, I am now on my second bottle. I left the cap off the first bottle over night and it started to harden up. I still managed to use part of it and finally trashed it. I probably had it for 4 months and made 50+ pens. My shop is climate controlled and I store it out of the sunlight coming in the windows and now remember to keep the cap closed tight.

Second bottle now in use for over a month, no problems so far.

Dudley Young

I use the thick CA glue. What I have found that eliminates release of the tube is to swab out the drill hole so there is no dust left in there. I use Q-tips with a drop of denatured alcohol.

wb7whi

I suspect with your acrylics that as you drill them there might be a small amount of melt which makes the hole in the blank larger in diameter. In this condition I would think that gorilla will work just fine because it expands as it sets.

I have never used water with the glue and it still takes overnight to set. Am I not getting a good glueup by not using the water?

zig613

Dan...

I use Gorillia glue for both wood and acrylics. I generally a liberal amount to the outside of the tube and twist the tube while it is being inserted into the blank. I like its gap filling properties, long self life, slower setting time, easy clean up after it has dried and it is cost effective.

Like Wayne, I also don't use water. I generally do a patch of 5-10 blanks and set for 24 hrs before turning. I know the instructions says to moisten the material you are gluing however, I haven't experienced any major problems to date.

randyrls

I have switched from CA to Gorilla Glue for the pen tubes. I have noticed, a few times, that the glue doesn't seem to hold on some acrylics.

Dan; I sometimes use CA, sometimes gorilla glue (PU). PU fills gaps well, CA does not. PU sometimes pushes the brass tube out of the blank, CA does not. CA hardens quicky (sometimes TOO QUICKLY!), PU allows you adjustment time.

Rough the brass tube surface with sandpaper or crocus cloth (plumbers cloth) before using either glue.

Run a gun brass brush through the blank before assembling.
With PU and acrylic, spray the tube ends with water after inserting the tube into the blank.

Plug one end of the brass tube with wax, play dough, or a potato. Put a dollop of glue inside the blank and more glue on the side of the brass tube closest to he plug and insert with a twisting motion. If you have used enough glue, the glue will squeeze out in a complete circle on the far end of the blank.

We use so little glue for our pens that the PU will probably go bad by the time you have used most of the bottle and I only buy the smallest size available.

TIP: The PU will form a "skin" on the top surface of the glue. To eliminate this, drill a hole into a small piece of 2x4 and put the capped bottle into the hole upside down.

Rangertrek

The instructions for gorilla glue indicate to "dampen" the wood or one of the glue surfaces.

It will cure without the moisture, not sure if it has any effect on strength of the glue joint.

dankc908

Many thanks for all the ideas and thoughts here. Guess I'll have to try some different methods to solve this problem. I'm going to try w/out water first since I didn't seem to have this problem before I started doing that.

Dan

Top Bottom