Gluing Delrin?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

txbob

I've got some black Delrin rods that I'd like to use for pens. What kind of glue can I use to glue in the brass tubes? I did a search and learned that CA won't work. Is there any glue that will? Poly? Epoxy? Grits?

Thanks for your help,
txbob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

I have a friend in the plastics business that I have asked this of him, he said there is nothing adhesive wise that you can glue delrin with. They have a way to 'weld' it together, but that is it.

Dario

I've read a post here about a CA manufacturer that is developing a glue that will adhere to Delrin. Not sure if it is done already though.

The beauty od Delrin is that glue won't stick to it...if you must use it do a tubeless pen (drill smaller diameter to fit the pen mechanisms/parts. [;)]

Rifleman1776

I have made products from Delrin and have sold Delrin. Excepting for the new glue mentioned not yet out, no way, no how are you going to glue anything to Delrin. If you want to make pens from it, suggest you just make the pen but forget the tubes. Drill to the inside diameter of the tubes and assemble.

txbob

Thanks for the replies. It confirms what I was thinking. I could do a tubeless pen, but I'd worry about the fittings pulling out, or the transmission slipping. Sounds like it would be easier to turn aluminum and powder coat it black. One more reason to buy a powder coat machine.

Thanks again,
txbob

Fangar

Originally posted by txbob
<br />Thanks for the replies. It confirms what I was thinking. I could do a tubeless pen, but I'd worry about the fittings pulling out, or the transmission slipping. Sounds like it would be easier to turn aluminum and powder coat it black. One more reason to buy a powder coat machine.

Thanks again,
txbob

If you are looking for a black material, Berea makes a niuce black Acetate. The Code is an AA-25.

Fangar

Pikebite

We have a company in the UK called starlocadhesives.com who sell a product that they say is for glueing Delrin. Not tried it yet but the pack is comprised of a MIXED BASE CYANOACRYLATE / POLYOLEFINE PRIMER.
Hope this helps.

Richard

Chuck Key

Bob,

I have had good luck drilling delrin to accept a brass tube using a press fit. Also I have heard that if you can rough the delrin surface inside the hole or use a burr of some type to rifle the inside of the tube you may be have some sucess with CA or other glues. The glue would form a ridge against the delrin and provide adhesion that way.

Chuckie

txbob

Chuckie,
Good suggestion. I had wondered about that. I thought about drilling a hole and then tapping it 1/4-24, thinking the glue would fill the thread grooves and retain the brass tubes. Probably easier to just buy the AA25 blanks Fangar told me about, but I enjoy a challenge.

Yeah Eagle, I hear you saying "No pictures, didn't happen." [8D]

Thanks,
txbob

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by txbob
<br />Chuckie,
Good suggestion. I had wondered about that. I thought about drilling a hole and then tapping it 1/4-24, thinking the glue would fill the thread grooves and retain the brass tubes. Probably easier to just buy the AA25 blanks Fangar told me about, but I enjoy a challenge.

Yeah Eagle, I hear you saying "No pictures, didn't happen." [8D]

Thanks,
txbob
If you are doing 7mm, drill it with the right size for the tube, then tap 5/16-18. Neat idea, might work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom