Gluing cigar wrappers to brass tubes, etc

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Markus666

Hi all. I'm looking to make pens using real cigar wrappers, using cigar leaves I'll glue to tubes, cast in alumilite clear, then turn. What type of glue would you recommend for this? I saw a video where it looked like the person was using a white (elmers type) glue. I think CA would be to messy.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

I use Elmers on painted tubes. After it dries I brush on a coat of watered down Elmers and let it dry. Modge Podge would probably be better than diluted Elmers, it has more body and will build thicker. I moisten the leaves with water to make them wrap better, so you will need a water based adhesive, collagen based glue might be a very good choice. . . if you happen to have a dead horse lying around.

I cast them in poly resin because I like more shine than I get from urethane. Slow drying poly resin tends to saturate the tobacco leaves and turn them grey, so the top coat is needed. Aluminite may not do that as much and therefore you may not need the top coat.

Markus666

I use Elmers on painted tubes. After it dries I brush on a coat of watered down Elmers and let it dry. Modge Podge would probably be better than diluted Elmers, it has more body and will build thicker. I moisten the leaves with water to make them wrap better, so you will need a water based adhesive, collagen based glue might be a very good choice. . . if you happen to have a dead horse lying around.

I cast them in poly resin because I like more shine than I get from urethane. Slow drying poly resin tends to saturate the tobacco leaves and turn them grey, so the top coat is needed. Aluminite may not do that as much and therefore you may not need the top coat.

Thanks Chasper. Horses I have, though unfortunately (?), they're not dead! I picked up a gorilla glue spray previously, but it's pretty thick stuff. Is Modge Podge thinner?

Chasper

Mod Podge has some thickness, but you would only need one or at most two layers of it to protect the tobacco leaves from the resin. I've used one layer of diluted Elmers and it was enough to keep the resin from saturating and discoloring the tobacco leaf. Mod Podge would definitely be better than diluted Elmers.

Top Bottom