Gluing Centerbands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

busbeead

I have just started making the Euro style pens out of acrylic. I am wondering if anyone has any tips on how to best glue on the center bands. I am currently using a super glue pen, but sometimes the glue gets pushed out and ends up on the pen or the band. Basically ruining the look. Does anyone have any suggestions on what they use to glue on center bands or do I basically need to use less glue and cross my fingers? I have benn searching all of the forums, but have not come across anything yet. Thanks for any suggestions!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fangar

Originally posted by busbeead
<br />I have just started making the Euro style pens out of acrylic. I am wondering if anyone has any tips on how to best glue on the center bands. I am currently using a super glue pen, but sometimes the glue gets pushed out and ends up on the pen or the band. Basically ruining the look. Does anyone have any suggestions on what they use to glue on center bands or do I basically need to use less glue and cross my fingers? I have benn searching all of the forums, but have not come across anything yet. Thanks for any suggestions!

Hello,

I use a small amount of thin CA. It really depends how close your tolerances are. If you overcut the tenon, then you might need to move up to a thicker CA. Once turned, and ready to install, I place the top barrel tenon side down onto a paper towel on a 45 degree angle to the table top. Then I slowly, and with a nice thin tip wick some thin CA onto the tenon, while slowly rotating the barrel with my fingers. The any surplus thin CA is sucked into the paper towel. This works well for me and allows a very thin coat on the tenon surface. Too thick and too much glue will smoosh out onto the surfaces...That is bad. I would invest in the three basic viscocities of Super Glue (AKA CA). This will help you to have the right viscosity for various applications.

Welcome to the IAP.

Fangar

GregD

I usually use thin Ca glue. I put some on the end of a toothpick and wipe it inside of the centerband. Then push the band in place. You don't need much glue unless you've really undercut the tenon.

alamocdc

Depending on the fit, I use three to four strategically placed SMALL drops of thick CA on the inside of the CB and slide it on and hold for a few minutes.

busbeead

Thanks so much for the information. Judging by what you all suggest I have definately been using too much glue. I will give all of these a try and see what works best for me. Thanks again!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
In turning the pen, receed the tenon. (Cut it deeper next to the tube, so there is an angle, allowing the excess glue to "settle" next to the tube, not on the visible outside. I use a parting tool at about a 10 degree angle.

The above advice regarding amount of glue is correct and remains unchanged!

And, don't use Brylcream, in spite of Harry's advice![:D][:D][:D]

LanceD

5 minute epoxy is what i use. If you get some on the centerband you have enough time to wipe the excess off with a paper towel before the glue dries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom