Gluing Center Bans

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave C

I have been making european style pens and was wondering what kind of glue you use to attach the center bans. I have tried medium body CA and had some get on the center bans. The CA Debonder would remove most of the glue, but it would also remove the finish so I would have to reapply the finish to the top of the pen. I would put a few drops on the tenon and then slip on the center ban and give it a twist to spread the glue on the tenon. Should I be putting the glue on the center ban instead of the tenon or should I use a different glue all together?
Thanks,
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

roberts

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom.
Dave, for what it is worth[:I], I put a drop of medium CA on a cotton bud and smear it inside the band. Though the glue is absorbed by the bud, enough is left to leave a small smear in the band, enough to make the bond but not enough to seep past the end.

Hope this sorts out your problem[:)].

Bob `S`
[:D]

melogic

Dave,
I use the medium CA as well and I apply it directly to the tenon on the top of the pen after sanding it. I sand it lightly to ensure there is no wax residue on it from finishing the pen. I apply a few drops and then twist the band on. Every once in a while I get a little glue on the band and then I use fingernail polish remover and a cotton swab and this takes care of the glue without harming the finish. Hope this helps.

William Young

I have a little different approach. I use thick CA and glue the square centre band blank (with no hole in it) onto the upper pen blank before even drilling out the hole for the tube. Then when I drill out the hole on my jig, the hole in the band and the blank are perfectly lined up. Then I turn the pen on the lathe with no centre bushing because the band takes the place of it.
W.Y.

OOPPSS ;
I just noticed you said european pens so if my method described above doesn't work on those then just disregard my message (blush)

daledut

I have found that puting one drop of medium CA inside the band, near the top edge works. That way as you push/twist the band into place it tends to push the glue into the band not out.

If you put the glue on the tenon it can be pushed out as the band goes on.

G

One idea you migh try if you are going to sell that particular type of pen is not to glue the band on until you have it sold.
All the compoinents of the Euro styles ar esaily removeable but if you glue the band on it is more difficult to "scavenge" parts if you need them for a different pen.
(DAMHIKT)

Dave C

Thanks All,
I will try all of your suggestions this weekend. I never thought of using a cotton bud (Q-tip) to apply glue. This place is GREAT learn something new every time I visit.

Thanks,
Dave

jkirkb94

I use a small drop of medium or thick CA and spread it with a popcicle stick. If a little still gets onto the CB, a little acetone/CA remover on a paper towel does the trick. Kirk [8D]

roberts

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom.
Thanks Fred in NC, our nations are definatly joined by a different language[:p]. I will never forget when working with the Americans in NATO (in the Netherlands) when I said I was 'going for a fag', (a cigarette), you could hear the laughter in Belgium[:I].

Regards to all

Bob`S`
[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom