Glueing Tubes in Nickel Plated Casings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

I've made quite a few casing pens using regular brass casings and slimline kits. I put a short piece of heat shrink tube on the end of the tube to fill the gap for the nib and use CA to glue it all together. Rarely, I have one come loose. Last night I was making some with Nickel plated casings I got from Royce in the group buy. Every single one of them, three, came loose at least once. Is there a trick to using the Nickel plated casings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

I had quite a few failures with CA - not just with cartridge cases, but also with aluminum and wood, so I quit using it. I've been using gorilla glue for over a year now and haven't had any problems. It also expands to fill the gap in the case so there is a bond the entire length of the case, not just at the neck and head of the case.

dfurlano

Using a 2018 arrow inside a 30 caliber casing is a press fit. Then I CA glue the brass tube inside of the arrow and it has worked very well. Need to rough both surfaces.

alamocdc

Don't know about nickel plated casings, Gerry, but I drill and glue a short piece of scrap hardwood or acrylic to the end of the tube and turn it so that it is just a press fit. It looks somethign like this:

20065916289_tube_casing.gif
<br />

NOTE: This is not to scale.

knottyharry

Hi Gerry,
I clean the inside of the crimped end with some sandpaper, or the small carbide bit I use in my dremel tool.
I use the gel type CA....and I have never had one come loose.
Maybe it's the glue...when mine starts to get down to about a 1/4 of the bottle left it seems like it wants to plug up in the neck of the tube, and I pitch it and go for a new bottle.
But I know others have good luck with the various types of glue also.
Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom