Glueing tubes in blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cpmech425

I have decided to make a squaring jig to square my blanks on my disc dander. I have been wondering how to best keep the epoxy I use to glue the tubes in out of the tubes so I can slide them on the jig. What are some of the things you guys do? Thank You. Brian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I use CA to glue my tubes, but I suppose the principle is the same. I just wipe the end of the tubes with a paper towel if it looks like some glue is getting into the tube. Once the glue is dry, if there is any residue in the tube (which is very seldom), I clean it out with a squaring mill (by hand), sandpaper or a round file.

EdGallop41

I don't have a problem with CA inside the tubes. I place the tube barely in the hole and apply medium CA in a strip 1/2 way down the tube. The rest of the tube will gather CA when inserting. I just twist and push in and out then twist it all the way in and sometimes just use my finger to push in about 1/16". I wipe off the access with a rag and no CA gets in the tube.

plantman

Brian; I use thick or gap filling CA to glue my tubes. Before I try to square them on my jig and disk sander, I use a tapered 1/2" reamer on both ends. This does several things to the tubes. It removes any glue that has spilled into the tube ends, adds a slght bevel to the end of the tubes to make assembly a little easier, and removes any distorsion out of round on the end of the tube. If you want to plug the tube ends, look for some of the kid's Play Dough. Use the tube like a cookie cutter to block the ends. Jim S

kenmic

Long time User of Baseplate Wax

I agree with Bellsy. Dental baseplate wax makes a good temporary plug for tube insertion. The wax tends to stay in place, Its inexpensive, and lasts a long time for the average pen maker. The plug can be removed with an Exacto knife and/or small reamer tools. Store new sheets in a sealed plastic bag. Use caution if you try to punch the plug out. If its heavily coated with epoxy, it could crack the end of the blank. Arizona Silouette carries Baseplate Wax.

forum
Base Plate Wax - 5 Sheets

Code: BG138
Price: $3.00
In Stock

philipff

I use gorilla glue and it sets up nicely like a foam when not in contact with 2 surfaces so it just comes off the ends when I square up. If you wet the inside of the blank before inserting the tube the glue sets up very quickly. P.

mmayo

I agree with Bellsy. Dental baseplate wax makes a good temporary plug for tube insertion. The wax tends to stay in place, Its inexpensive, and lasts a long time for the average pen maker. The plug can be removed with an Exacto knife and/or small reamer tools. Store new sheets in a sealed plastic bag. Use caution if you try to punch the plug out. If its heavily coated with epoxy, it could crack the end of the blank. Arizona Silouette carries Baseplate Wax.

forum
Base Plate Wax - 5 Sheets

Code: BG138
Price: $3.00
In Stock

See your dentist, mine charged me about a buck per sheet of the pink wax. On colder days I suggest you warm the sheet with finger and thumb before inserting the tube in it - it prevents cracks.

longbeard

I too use gorilla glue 5 min epoxy. I use my faceplate with a scrap piece of wood attached to it, then a piece of sticky back sand paper to that. Drill chuck in the tail stock with the appropriate size transfer punch. As far as glue in the tube, I use play-do to seal the ends. If a little glue gets in the tube, I either use my pocket knife to scrape it out or use a sanding disk from my dremel to clean it out. I also have brass bore brushes if needed.

Harry

cpmech425

Thanks for the tips guys. I was at the craft store today with my 9year old I bought some modeling clay. It should do the trick. Brian

Edward Cypher

Got my baseplate wax from ebay about 5 bucks a pound. Very cheap. The postage would have been more than the wax for a single lb. So I ordered two and keep one them in a ziplock bag.

Jerry944t

I use baseplate wax because I'm a dentist :) If any of my patients want a piece all they have to do is ask. It's cheap enough. I can't believe that any dentist would charge a patient for a sheet of the stuff. That's borderline criminal.

Mike211

I love reading through the forums! There is so much good info it is ridiculous! I just learned some good tricks! Thanks for the good question Brian, and Thanks for all the great responses!

flyitfast

I stole some of my grandkids PlayDoh and it works like the other methods above. I have resorted to potato slices also. :biggrin:
Mostly, if some epoxy gets in I use an Xacto knife or tubing reamer, which works great before sanding on a disk sander.
gordon

Top Bottom