Glueing tube in resin blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kirk Dietrich

Ed sent me a resin blank in with a recent order, and there was a sticker that advised to paint the brass tube before gluing or something to that effect. Can't remember exactly what the sticker, I removed it and threw it away.

Kirk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

panamag8or

Ed sent me a resin blank in with a recent order, and there was a sticker that advised to paint the brass tube before gluing or something to that effect. Can't remember exactly what the sticker, I removed it and threw it away.

Kirk

That means the blank is translucent enough to show the tube. Painting the tube, either with a complimentary color or a contrasting color, will have different effects on the finished barrel. I have a 1x1 that I drove some long nails though, and I drop a tube on the nail and spray paint, then let dry overnight.

Last edited:

Kirk Dietrich

Thanks, that makes sense. With this being a brown chip resin blank, I may just leave the shiny brass to give kind of an inner golden glow.

Thanks again,
Kirk

Timbo

Thanks, that makes sense. With this being a brown chip resin blank, I may just leave the shiny brass to give kind of an inner golden glow.

Thanks again,
Kirk

One reason it may not end up like you think is that the glue you used to fix the tube will show through the blank. It ain't gonna be pretty.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
We do put those stickers on nearly every blank these days.

No one has ever called to tell me they REGRET painting, I have had calls saying, "I should have painted, but I didn't, how can I make it look good now?" Answer--you can't.

A millligram of paint is cheap insurance.

Kirk Dietrich

Okay, so last night I had to turn one down to see what it would look like. Its not what I thought like suggested above but its not bad and I actually do like it. The glue does show faintly but that's using thick formula CA, I'm thinking epoxy may be smoother especially if the 30 minute cure is used where you would have more time to smooth it around.
I'm guessing that unless you painted the inside of the blank to block the transluecency, you would still see the glue but then again maybe not. The shinyness of the tube reflecting back is what helps highlight the swirls of the dried glue. So, maybe with paint on the tube you wouldn't see the glue through the translucent pieces in the blank.
I'm just doing these for myself so it isn't that big of a deal but its one for the memory banks.

Thanks,
Kirk

Lenny

Thanks again,
Kirk

One reason it may not end up like you think is that the glue you used to fix the tube will show through the blank. It ain't gonna be pretty.

And that is perhaps the best reason to paint the inside of the blank in addition to (or instead of) the tube!

Top Bottom