glued busing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I think any wax will work.

I use carnauba on my mandrel and Johnson paste wax on my bushings. I usually apply wax on my bushings before I use it.

alamocdc

I've not used anything on mine and they do stick on occassion. However CA doesn't have much shear strength so they pop loose fairly easily. If I'm concerned that it will take part of the blank with it (softer, less dense woods), then I will use an exacto knife like a parting tool and "break" the seam (lathe running). If you try this, make sure you have a firm position and keep a steady hand. DAMHIKT

dfurlano

I seal the end of the blank with a sanding sealer and then coat the end of the blank with bees wax additionally I put a small drop of super solvent inside the tube. As Billy said when I put it on real thick I use a razor to cut through the glue before I try and remove the bushing. Never had a problem.

airrat

Exacto knife. I do it with the lathe off, just have to make sure you do not cut your finish. I then sand any little edges that might remain. I use to try to just "pop" them off until I started cracking my finish from the blank.

byounghusband

I just slide the blank to the end of the mandrel until just the bushing is on the shaft and a little downward pressure pops the bushing right off the blank. Has worker EVERY time. I learned this from Bill Baumbeck at Arizona Silhouette.

Dario

Originally posted by byounghusband
<br />I just slide the blank to the end of the mandrel until just the bushing is on the shaft and a little downward pressure pops the bushing right off the blank. Has worker EVERY time. I learned this from Bill Baumbeck at Arizona Silhouette.

Works well but if you build up CA as finish...there is a chance that you may have an area that will feel off on the pen (sometimes just enough to create a white area underneath). A very bad feeling will follow and bad words may also be said.

Another problem is on bushings that have a tenon...sometimes the fit is so tight that doing above technique may not work.

AirportFF

Originally posted by Dario
<br />
Originally posted by byounghusband
<br />I just slide the blank to the end of the mandrel until just the bushing is on the shaft and a little downward pressure pops the bushing right off the blank. Has worker EVERY time. I learned this from Bill Baumbeck at Arizona Silhouette.

Works well but if you build up CA as finish...there is a chance that you may have an area that will feel off on the pen (sometimes just enough to create a white area underneath). A very bad feeling will follow and bad words may also be said.

That's a problem I have. Even when I cut the bushing loose using an xacto knife I often have a white ring around the edge of the blanks. Pain in the neck to try to fix.

punkinn

After applying CA, I use the parting tool to very gently shave off any CA that's on the bushing and this also makes a clean edge on the joint of the bushing/blank. If CA has gotten down in between the bushing and blank, after having made that "clean edge," twisting the blank and bushing in opposite directions releases the hold (I have also used a pair of soft-grip pliers on the bushing to get a grip with no damage whatsoever).

After the finished blanks are removed from the mandrel, I roll the edges of each blank/pen section at a slight angle on a soft-ish piece of wood (our redwood workbench works well for this) which makes that edge nice and smooth if the CA has left any sort of ridge or build up.

HTH!
Nancy

woodbutcher

I apply c/a (thin) sparingly with a multifolded paper towel and the lathe spinning VERY slow, mebe 75 rpm. I also use that tiny little applicator that allows just a small amount of c/a to be distributed. I once used just the regular tip on the 2 oz bottle and used waaaaayyyy too much. I saved one bushing and the mandrel on that one. lucky for me only about 10 people were there for that one.[:D]
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom