Glued Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

emtmike

Up until now I have lead a charmed life. I have never glued bushings to my wood in finishing. That is until I made a Cigar pen with a corn cob. I glued those suckers on good. When I did get them free I chipped the cob and that was it for that. What kind of wax do you guys use to keep this from happening [?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Butcher's paste wax was recommended when I asked about this. The initial tin isn't cheap ($7-10, if I recall correctly), but a little bit goes a LONG way, and it has a ton of other uses, like on the flat surfaces of your saws, you lathe ways, etc. to help keep things moving freely.

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Bee's wax should also work as should the parrafin used for canning. Anybody know if Ren Wax would work?

Ren wax works fine for me. I put it on the bushings, the mandrel (and also on my lathe ways), since I use TSW on my pens I've never gone back to Ren wax on them.

angboy

Two questions:

If you put wax on the bushings, does that not mess up the exactness of knowing how far down to turn the pen?

And I know if I did that, no matter how hard I tried, I don't think I could manage to sand without at least a tiny, tiny bit of the sandpaper touching that wax, otherwise I probably wouldn't get the very ends of the pen blank sanded. So what would that do if the sandpaper then drags some of the wax onto your pen?

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by angboy
<br />Two questions:

If you put wax on the bushings, does that not mess up the exactness of knowing how far down to turn the pen?

And I know if I did that, no matter how hard I tried, I don't think I could manage to sand without at least a tiny, tiny bit of the sandpaper touching that wax, otherwise I probably wouldn't get the very ends of the pen blank sanded. So what would that do if the sandpaper then drags some of the wax onto your pen?

I put the wax on the part of the bushing that goes inside the tube and the part that rests against the wood, at least that's what I try to do. I try to be very careful when I apply the wax, sometimes a tooth pick helps. The coating is very thin, so there should not be a problem with sizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom