Glued Bushing to Mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickbw

Any advise on how to remove a 7mm pen tube and bushing now glued to my mandrel [?]? I had some nice olive wood which had a chunck fall out of the end of the tube next to the bushing. So in trying to keep the wood usable, I inlayed some blue granulars with thin CA....

Well, I must have glued the tube to the bushing AND the bushing to the mandrel :(. Any advice on how to remove them or do I just learn another lesson from penturning? :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Try removing the madrel from the MT2 driver. Place the 7mm rod with the glued with bushing vertically on a wood block, place an old 7mm tube on and try hitting that with a mallet and see if it will budge. If not, you might have to try dripping some acetone on the rod and hope it seep between the bushing and rod.

Next time, try applying wax on your rod, it helps keeping CA from sticking. I use carnauba wax on mine. [;)]

Good luck!

JimGo

Dario's is a good suggestion if you want to keep everything (or at least try to). Once you've freed everything, you're likely to still have a bushing stuck to the blank. You may be able to put it back on the mandrel and use a razor/utility knife to cut the bushing free. Just cut carefully.

fiferb

A friend of mine did this once.[:I] He wound up gripping the bushing with a pair of channel locks and whacking the end of the mandrel with a hammer. Lost the bushing but saved the mandrel. This was off the lathe of course. I think now I would recommend the acetone route to try and loosen it first.

JimM

Originally posted by rickbw
<br />Any advise on how to remove a 7mm pen tube and bushing now glued to my mandrel [?]

Heat is the big enemy of CA. Just heat the tube/bushing/mandrel gently and the parts can be separated.
Jim

rickbw

Thanks for all the inputs. I did take the mandrel off the lathe (it is a mandrel I purchased as a rod which I use my Beall Collet Chuck with). I attempted to whack it with a defect tube with no luck - it would not budge. I dripped acetone, also without any luck.

I will try the idea of heat 1st and then soaking in acetone if it does not work.

Thanks for the idea about wax in the future! [:)]

jkirkb94

Dario's suggestion about the wax for the future is a good idea especially if you are using inlays that require dripping of thin CA. It has saved me in the past when I was doing a lot of granulars. You might try the acetone again, give it time. Gentle tapping of the bushing and maybe some channel locks. I always keep acetone within REACH since I have glued my fingers together and have glued my fingers to my lathe![:(][:D] I'm a fast learner! Kirk[8D]

snowman56

I glue the ends of every blank before putting them on the mandrel. Let it dry good and usually you won't glue the bushing to the blank or the mandrel.

Pipes

Originally posted by rickbw
<br />Any advise on how to remove a 7mm pen tube and bushing now glued to my mandrel [?]? I had some nice olive wood which had a chunck fall out of the end of the tube next to the bushing. So in trying to keep the wood usable, I inlayed some blue granulars with thin CA....

Well, I must have glued the tube to the bushing AND the bushing to the mandrel [:(]. Any advice on how to remove them or do I just learn another lesson from penturning? [:)]

Heat it up a little with a heat gun the bushing a come right off . [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom