glue for wood / brass

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the recent cross pens was a wood and brass combination. Which glue would be best for this? CA, poly, epoxy, wood glue. Self preservation here, as I don't want any flying objects speeding towards me.

Survey says!

Brian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Originally posted by FireMedic4Christ
<br /> I don't want any flying objects speeding towards me.

You must write pretty fast to worry about flying objects.

All the glues you listed with the exception of wood glue will work.
If I want to turn a pen right away I would use CA glue. But I think a better option would be to use poly and wait overnight.

Tom McMillan

Hi Brian--I did Cross pens with brass inlay. On a slimline you're dealing with what will end up to be a pretty thin piece of brass---so be careful. I did use epoxy. But, I have had them come loose when they likely became overheated on the lathe. I haven't made anymore like that for quite awhile---I tried to do some of the initial shaping with a file (lathe not turning) so as to not build up a lot of heat.

Travlr7

Evening Brian:

I'm on pen number ????????? about 330. In all cases, I have used Thick CA to stick the wood to the brass tube. I make sure I scuff the surface of the Brass, so that I get good adhesion.

Hope this helps,

Bruce

JimGo

When I've used Gorilla Glue with a touch of water (do a search; you'll see that water is required, though only a HINT of it), I haven't had any problems. Can't say the same for CA, regardless of whether I'm gluing brass and wood, brass and leather, or brass and polyester resin.

Dario

To those who use CA...do you still use it on spalted blanks? I noticed that CA's drying is accelerated on spalted wood.

I primarily use Gorilla glue and haven't had any failures yet. There were a couple actually but it is mostly due to improper drilling and operator error (i.e. using the gouge too aggressively :D)

My most valuable tool when gluing (I do it by batch of 30 or so) is a bamboo stick skewer. I put a glob of GG in the hole and spread it with the skewer in the hole with rotating motion. I later put the tube a bit in (just hanging and put another glob of glue by the insert area and insert it rotating a bit until fully seatted.

I also use the skewer to clean up the "bubbling mess" a bit and reuse them to the next blanks to be tubed. I am still using the same skewer that I first used!

Oh and don't forget to use gloves when using GG! I use surgical gloves, works great!

Not the best method but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom