Glue ups

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've been turning pens since June.My third pen was a segmented American Classic from the articles section on the home page.
O.K. now here's the question.
Certainly the amount of work, cost of woods and the uniquness should be reflected in the price of a pen made of multiple glue ups as opposed to a pen made from a solid blank.
Same thing for a corn cob versus a colored corn cob.
If I used the "castle segmented" pen as an example,even if that were a slimline and I am not sure of the kit used to make it,for those of you who do laminated glue ups,how do you price them?
(Note to moderator,If you feel this belongs in another area of the site,please relocate it),
Thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Time plus materials.

If the price appears to be too high, remember the difference between a dining room table, and a dining room table made from fine woods, with carving and inlaid top. Now, would you pay $60,000 for a dining room table? Or $15,000 for a pen? Not everyone will pay the price, and not everyone will appreciate it.

If I make a pen, and the pen is worth $100, that is how much I will sell it for. The right buyer will show up eventually, appreciate your artistic effort, and pay a reasonable price for it.

Just my 2 dollars . . . (inflation, you know)

Daniel

I do try to reflect the time and skil it takes to make a pen in the price. But this is a tricky one. didi it take alot of time because it is difficult and time consuming. or because I am new at it and not that profecient yet. I don't charge for my lack of skill.
My prices are also influenced by a rare piece. you can make African blackwood Pens til the cows come home and then suddenly there is that one with a superior finish or just that slight thing in it's form or whatever. it stands out in the crowed. well those get an extra charge on them because they are rare. then there is that simply, never gonna see it again piece of wood. or the over the top balance in combinations of materials. and on and on.
I use my X3 formula to get a ball park figure to work with. then comes the question. just how do I feel about that price when I look at the pen. is it to low? to High, Just right. Wouldn't part with this one for all the tea in china. Bottom line is this. the pen is yours. you wanted it bad enough to spend the time gather all the tools, equipment talent, and time to have it. now you have to ask yourself, how bad does someone else have to want it to get it from me. when you think X dollars, and your gut says I think I like X dollars more than I like this pen. You found your price. This does not eliminate the possiblility that you may like your pens far more than any of your customers though [:)]

thostorey

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada.
I like your reasoning to a point Daniel; however, if one likes their pens too much and the price asked reflects that, one could wind up with a whole slew of pens [:)] I think it has a lot to do with were you are located and the sort of persons likely to be your customers. My pens are no better or worse than most of my skill level yet I have a hard time getting the cost x 2 price. Probably my fault because I don't have them in many outlets, yet.

As an example of "location" importance, a very large craft sale was recently held in a Vancouver stadium. Juried crafters only. My daughter bought a Christmas bell, about 3" long, for $35. It would have cost all of $5 for the material and not taken long to turn. In fairness, the fellow's wife had painted a bird on it - added value. He wouldn't have gotten $25 here.

fwiw

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
To a large degree, you're right, Tom. Victoria prices will be lower than Vancouver and Vancouver prices will be lower than Toronto prices. We face that here as well. New York, Atlanta, DC, San Francisco areas all command higher prices for just about anything. It has an awful lot to do with the amount of discretionary income in the area. [8D]

Tom McMillan

OK Lou---When you say Vancouver---looks like you mean BC??? I live real close to Vancouver, WA---so just a reminder!!! Of course with the exchange rate---well--------

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
So now I not only have to think about which of the 15 or so Tom's we have, I also have to watch for Tom near Vancouver, BC Canada and Tom near Vancouver, WA USA. Dang, this stuff keeps getting harder! [8D]

Tom McMillan

It's ok Lou---even though I live near Vancouver, WA---I do have a lot of friends in Canada and a lot even on Vancouver Island---Really not tryin to give ya a hard time---guess DC separates the Washington's anyway huh??

Daniel

Originally posted by thostorey
<br />I like your reasoning to a point Daniel; however, if one likes their pens too much and the price asked reflects that, one could wind up with a whole slew of pens
Note my last comment. It was intended to lead in that direction.
and your point about location is absolutely right. I have found many of them that not many people value my pens as highly as I do.
there needs to be a bit of humor read into my comments above. But the idea is still active when deciding on a price. I am a big advocate of having some sort of formula to go by. But at the same time. a formula does not "dictate" my prices. there is the element of simply looking at the pen and saying "Hmmm just what is this worth"
that gut feeling takes some time, homework, and experience to develope. and it will always be fluctuating. I tried the X3 method when I first started making pens. and I had every single pen I made at a different price. some with pretty odd numbers. then I slowly migrated to a zone sort of pricing. $24.95, $29.95, etc. I would use my X3 formula and then round to the nearest $XX.95 number. if that didn't look right I would adjust it up and down so that it did seem right. I seldom have to adjust though, just for those rare exceptional instances. I see pens as a work of art, and pricing art is never simple.

As an example of "location" importance, a very large craft sale was recently held in a Vancouver stadium. Juried crafters only. My daughter bought a Christmas bell, about 3" long, for $35. It would have cost all of $5 for the material and not taken long to turn. In fairness, the fellow's wife had painted a bird on it - added value. He wouldn't have gotten $25 here.

fwiw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom