Glue up trouble

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark4583

I just glued 3 Celuoid blanks from CSU and 3 from A.S. with 5 min 2 part epox, , let set over night and they all came lose during triming or when I went to turn, Ive never had this happen before and Ive done blanks from both places with the same glue before with no trouble.
I figure its gota be somthing ive done, So im thinking I might need a diffrent type Glue?
Any sugestions would be appreciated
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

I have used both 5 min-Epoxy and medium CA and never observed this. Just the other day I prepared six or seven Barons with the acrylic from Pipe-Emporium and glued the tubes in with medium CA. Both the tubes and the inside of the blanks were painted with Testors paint.
Not one came loose during trimming or turning.

hrigg

I usually use 5 minute epoxy and had that problem once using a pen mill in a drill press. It was on the second barrel, and I decided the glue hadn't had sufficient time to cure and the heat from the pilot bit caused the bond to loosen and let the tube pull out. My basement shop stays about 55° this time of year, so I've started letting the epoxy cure overnight before doing any more work. Haven't had any more problems.

cueman

Mark, 5 minute epoxy is all I use on acrylic and celluloid blanks and I have only had that problem once, and I think it was from the pen mill heating up the brass tube like Harry said. I normally turn them after an hour.

jwoodwright

Mark,
Epoxy is temperature sensitive. Do you have a heated shop? How old was the epoxy?

I've used Polyurethane Glue (Elmers, Gorilla, etc) for Celluloid and Acrylics and had good luck. If a 7mm kit, I use a 9/32 bit. Learned this from Russ Fairfield. Don't get the hydraulic effect (whereas glue expansion drives tube from blank)

Scott

Hi Mark,

Where every one of them failed, I can't help but think there was something wrong with the glue! Maybe it was old and tired, or something.

I have used both 5 min epoxy and polyurethane glue on celluloid and other acrylics, and haven't had a problem. Don't give up yet!

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom