Glue-up question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

chazmonro

I'm new to all this pen turning, but I was wondering if I was going to do a glue up of a bunch of thin segments (all square to the tube) could I drill each segment first and then use the brass tube to help align them? I want to keep the glue-up as square as possible, and I've noticed that occasionally the bit will wander just a little, and I want to try and eliminate that possability.

Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Chuck, I tried that... once. I wasn't terribly happy with the result. Just glue it up off the tube and drill it on the lathe... like I should have my last one. [:0]

Mikey

That may work, but usually when you glue up segments, you have to do it in stages because one cannot glue up the segments and assemble fast enough before the glue starts curing. Once the glue starts curing, it will be nearly impossible to clamp it good enough to avoid glue lines in the work.

How about assembling maybe an inch or so at a time, drill those, then use the tube for the final sub assemblies?

chazmonro

Thanks guys, I'm not sure how I'll do it just yet. But I haven't been 100% happy with my jig for drilling blanks... sometimes the bit is true as can be, but most of the time it comes out just a bit off. Don't know exactly why, but I'll figure it out. So far though it hasn't been a problem.

Chuck

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
In theory your idea will work, but ultiamtely if you are trying to get the segments perpendicular to the hole and subsequently the tube each surface of the segments needs to be parallel to each other and the holes perfectly aligned.
Kind of trickiy doing it the way you are suggesting.
If one segment is off just a little it tlegraphs the error farther up the blank.

Ron Mc

Chuck,
On several of my designs I will drill my blanks first, then cut the angles or whatever I have in mind, and build a puzzle on the tubes. By your post it sounds like you are going to stack thin cut pieces on top of each other up the tube? All cut square to the tube? If this is the case, you don't need to worry about a design lining up while doing your glue up so you can get away with drilling, then cutting because it really doesn't matter if the hole is centered or not.
Have fun working it out and I look forward to seeing what you make!
Your segments of wood will consist of one wood type? Or will the segments actually consist of multiple segments them self?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom