Glue in tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

I have been gluing tubes into blanks using medium CA and it has worked fine. The little that gets in the end of the tubes I just scrap away with an exacto knife.

I tried gluing 10 tubes (for 5 Jr. Gentlemen) and I wanted to make sure the tubes were tight so I used Thick CA. Now my tubes are full of glue. I was able to scrap one set and get it on the bushings but the others are taking a long time.

Does anyone have a method they use to get super glue out of the tubes after they have been glued in? and, what do you guys do when gluing tubes to avoid this problem.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

I use this to avoid most of this sort of mess:
http://arizonasilhouette.com/Base_PLate_Wax.htm
and what gets in the way afterwards, I use the inside (i.d.) measuring jaws of a set of junk dial calipers to scrape the rest of the way clean.
just hold a little pressure on and twist back & forth to scrape it clean.
the calipers are (of course) adjustable to any size tube.
That's what works for me!:biggrin:

for some reason, I rarely get glue in the tubes, so I haven't tried any plugging methods. I do have a three sided de-bur knife from my machinist days. it is sturdy, sharp and does the trick nicely. also cleans the edges a bit after facing.

S

spiritwoodturner

I've used baseplate wax for a long time, it works great. I get it free from my Dentist! If I get a bit inside (it happens) I use a dremel tool with a thin sharpening stone, and it works great. But I like Johnny's idea a lot! I'm tryin' that one soon.

Dale

Nickfff

Hello,
I have used a round file inside to get the glue out. I don't reccomend it as a regular practice though as the this sometimes alters the internal tube dimensions which has an impact sometimes when you press the parts together.

An ounce of protection is worth a pound of cure so I reccomend baseplate wax as well...

Nick

ngeb528

We put the glue on the tube so none gets in when you slide it into the blank. I just carefully wipe the one end to remove the excess before it dries.

cnirenberg

I have taken a drill bit that just matches the I.D. of the tube and used it as a reamer inside the tube. I have the HF set of 105+ sizes, so it makes it easier to find what size I neeed (use a caliper). I then take a shotgun cleaning rod with the appropriate steel brush (Wal-Mart special) and clean out the tube. Be carefull not to really ream/scratch up the insides, I have increased the I.D. of the tube so that it didn't seat the transmission or cap as tight as it could of. Good luck.

JimB

I don't plug my tubes and I use thick CA. I only get very little glue in them so I'm not sure why you are getting so much in there. I use a round file to get it out. Just takes a few seconds.

Halling51

I don't plug my tubes and I use thick CA. I only get very little glue in them so I'm not sure why you are getting so much in there. I use a round file to get it out. Just takes a few seconds.

I am using Super Epoxy and almost never have problems with glue inside. And as said before the brass .22 kal is a wonderful equipment to clean the inside with.
Steinar NORWAY

nightowl

I also put the glue on the tube. When I use my pen mill to square the blank the shaft on it usually takes care of anything that might create a problem. I know this might not work with some of the bigger kits but it has worked fine for me so far.

gomeral

To each their own, but I find that if I put the glue on the tube and push it (the tube) into the blank from just one end, then I get a large amount of glue at that end and very little at the other. I blew out a blank once after doing this and turned it down to examine the glue reside - very much at the "push in" end and not so much at the other end. So now I plug the tube, put glue on it, push it 1/2way into one end while twisting, then turn the blank and push it in from that end. Much more even glue profile.

Oh yeah, when I do have glue in the tube, I try to use a drill bit to ream it out, but it's not been a giant problem for me because I started plugging the tubes (use potato, since it's available and I've yet to order some wax...)

daniel

aggromere

Ive started putting paste wax on the inside of my tubes before I glue now. I glue them up and then give them a quick hit of accelerator. Then I clean the glue out of the ends (mostly at one end) with my xacto knife. Even though there is still glue in now comes out pretty easily.

ribanett

I put a dab of mineral oil on a qtip and wipe the inside of the tube before gluing. I have a D drill mounted on a wood handle to remove any glue inside the tube. I do not twist the drill inside the tube, but stroke it in and out. 5 or 6 strokes usually causes the glue to pop out.

Top Bottom