Glue Sumo or gurilla

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I know some people have had failers with CA so I was using 2 part 5min epoxy with everything and had several pens split and it appeared the glue was not holding well. So the 5 min epoxy I was using may be out but that is ok becuase there are simpler things. A friend recomended Sumo Glue. His reasons are.

It holds just as good as gurilla glue but expands alot less leaving more glue in the tube. He had not had any failers but I see no one here uses sumo glue. Anyone try it?

Also what should I use with painted tubes/blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
I have used Sumo glue in the past with paints that CA seemed to eat. It worked well for me. I havn't used it in about 3 months though. I don't paint tubes much at all any more.

To eliminate painting, I have switched to having nickel, black nickel, brass, and even a few prepainted white tubes (but I don't use those often).

This allows me to stick to CA for most stuff. If you do use Sumo you can paint the tubes and/or blanks... Just make sure to wet the inside of the blank as the sumo needs water to activate.

Pocono Bill

Sumo vs. Gorilla

How timely.

Normally I use Gorilla glue. Recently I bought some Sumo glue and used it with no problems. Yesterday I wanted to glue up just two pen blanks and reached for the Sumo. I couldn't get it to come out of the bottle. After trying to open the spout I finally took the cap off the jar and discovered a blob of dried glue inside. Apparently any air in the bottle is enough to make the glue solidify. Furthermore, I used a glove on my right hand, but I figured it was only two blanks, I should be able to glue up the tubes without much mess. Wrong. I ended up with much glue on my left hand and it doesn't clean up well. I tried using the cleaner from CA; it worked a little. I think Sumo suggests acetone. Today my left hand has a dirty brown color to it. When I've finished with this jar I think I will go back to Gorilla glue. Just my opinion.

rwyoung

Polyurethene glues are a 2-part system. Part A is the glue in the bottle, part B is water. One trick for storing it a little bit longer after opening a bottle is to keep it tightly capped and upsidedown. The moisure in the trapped air can cause the glue to begin to set. But now it sets at the bottom (when you right the bottle) instead of in the spout. This can buy you maybe a few extra months over the 6. Your best bet is to always buy the smallest bottle you may need and use it all up within two or three months of first opening the bottle.

Getting the glue on your fingers will guarantee brown spots. You can wash off the undried glue with soap and water which will minimize the amount of staining. The stains go away in a day or two as you slough off skin. Lava soap or Goop can remove the stains with some scrubbing.

Last edited:

thewishman

I tried Sumo when it first came out. A couple of tubes pushed out of the blanks when the glue was curing - grrrr. Brown globs on my hands and the glue dried in its container in a couple of days. No more PU for me.

alphageek

Former Moderator
I tried Sumo when it first came out. A couple of tubes pushed out of the blanks when the glue was curing - grrrr. Brown globs on my hands and the glue dried in its container in a couple of days. No more PU for me.

Yeah... forgot to mention that.. That took me by surprise too. I think that can happen with both sumo and gorilla if I'm not mistaken (the expansion moving the tube that is).

rwyoung

Both expand but I don't have handy anything to relate that to a volumetric expansion.

I just noticed the spelling in the topic title. I think gurilla (guerrilla even) is the kind of glue that sneaks up on you...

jkeithrussell

Both expand but I don't have handy anything to relate that to a volumetric expansion.

I just noticed the spelling in the topic title. I think gurilla (guerrilla even) is the kind of glue that sneaks up on you...

Counter-revolutionary glue always expands beyond its original expectations.

Be wary of starting down the road of correcting spelling. In the first place, the job is too big here for one man. In the second place, someone will poke your eye out for it.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Counter-revolutionary glue always expands beyond its original expectations.

Be wary of starting down the road of correcting spelling. In the first place, the job is too big here for one man. In the second place, someone will poke your eye out for it.

Tell me about it!! I looked like a pirate for weeks!!!!! :eek::biggrin:

BruceA

Gorilla vs. Sumo glue

Gorilla has introduced a new WHITE fast drying glue that I have switched to for use with all my wood blanks.

The small bottle of Gorilla glue is much easier to dispense compared to the Sumo glue bottle, which I found impossible. I can tell you they both foam, but that's not a big deal. Dip the blank in water, twist in the tube, and let 'er foam. After it's dried, the glue slices right off with a knife.

It's tough on bare skin, but I always use latex gloves from Harbor Freight. They're $4.99 on sale, for 100.

When using acrylic blanks that are painted white, with white tubes, the Gorilla glue works great there, too. Otherwise I'm using 5-minute clear epoxy with painted blanks and painted tubes, if black or matched to acrylic color.

Top Bottom