Glue spill-out on European style pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Shappy

Can anyone offer suggestions on how to avoid glue spill-out when gluing the metal ring on to the tenon of the European style pen kits? I have made about a dozen of these pens and still sometimes have this problem. I'm using medium CA glue. I have thought about making a small V-cut at the base of the tenon to provide a place for excess glue to go. Has anyone tried this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nickfff

i found that a very minimal amount of glue (tiny drop smeared thinly) on the inside of the metal part works...

I read recently that Penn State has come out with a designer pen that does not require a tenon...I don't know for sure but it may be pressed on and that may help as well.

pianomanpj

CA can ruin your finish and haze your components. As Lupe said, epoxy is the way to go. It has much easlier clean-up in the event of squeeze out. Wipes off with a rag and won't dissolve your finish. You can also try Loctite.

Dave Turner

Whenever I turn a tenon for pens, tool handles, etc., I always make a small recess at the base of the tenon to catch any excess glue or wood slivers. This allows whatever part you are sliding onto the tenon to seat firmly all the way down. I make the recess proportional to the tenon size. For tool handles, I use a thin parting tool. For pens, I use a small v-groove tool.

I use medium CA to glue the European trim rings on and have never had any problems with squeeze-out.

nava1uni

I use a toothpick to apply the glue and I only put on a tiny drop on three sides then there is no overflow and I don't assemble the rest of the pen until the next day to avoid any CA hazing. No problems.

zig613

The key is to use a couple of very small drops of glue (CA thick) applied with a toothpick on the inside of the band, not on the tenon. I have made a couple hundred Euros by applying the CA this way and I haven't had any problems.

Wade

Andrewsignore

i love the euro pen and this was a huge problem for me at first then i bought a box of small paint brushes at a tag sale and now i use a paint brush to spread the med ca it works great try it

Top Bottom