Glue smear visible in acrylic blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jtj

On the acrylic blanks I have turned, I can see the glue smears. These were gifts, and the recipients thought they were great, but I can clearly see the glue streaking or voids and, of course, they look degraded to me because of this.

1. Is painting the inside of the tube the answer to eliminate this effect.
2. The brass of the tube in these blanks seemed to be a good color match for the blank, but with the voids in the glue, they look inconsistent to me. Is it a problem with not enough glue.
3. If painting is the solution, what colors have you found work best. Is there one that you would use to match a brass look. Do you stock a selection of colors to try to color mix.
4. If you paint do you thin the paint?
5. If you paint, do you go for opaque?

I did try to search for glue smears, but not a hit that seemed to discuss this phenomenon.

Thanks, JT

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fatdawg

When I first started turning pens I encountered the issue near the ends of the tube where the material is at its thinnest. Painting the inside of the blank solved the problem for me. The color of the paint you use depends on the effect you want. White will usually lighten you blank and black will darken it and using colored paint will make it pop in different ways. You just have to experiment with it. I use Krylon and Rustolum spray paints as well as Testors model paint.

Dolphinjon

Within the past few months, I've started mostly Turning acrylics and other alternative acrylics. I've found reverse painting the hole drilled in the blank helps to get rid of glue smears. I keep a bunch of colors of paint on hand (Ceramcoat acrylic paint) as well as black spray paint. I try to find the color that most closely fits what I'm aiming for, but I was just contemplating mixing colors to get what I want. I might get my wife to do it as she has an art degree and lots of experience mixing paint colors.

As for matching the color of brass tubes, my wife bought some spray paint that's kind of an antique bronze color. I was contemplating reverse painting a rather clear blank with it to see what it would look like.

Good luck! I did soooooooo much reading on reverse painting, and was rather nervous of trying it. I now don't know why I was ever worried about it. It's easy, makes my pens look better, and opens up a whole world of color possibilities!

southernclay

New Bill

I too was hesitant about reverse painting. Got tired of seeing the tube or the glue line. Finally had to try it. Easier than I thought.

Painting a bright colored blank black will make it look dead and lifeless. The first one I painted, I only had black so I tried it. The bright blue and green blank looks flat and non reflective with the black inside. Did a pink camo for my daughter. Reverse painted it pink and it came out great.

I tried using the acrylic craft paint with q-tips and I don't like doing it that way. Spray paint is easier. Spray a shot in each end and spin it on the lathe for a few minutes to spread the paint out.

Working on a collection of colors now to experiment.

Dale Allen

You may also consider sanding the inside smooth prior to painting.
For me, it helped with the evenness of the paint and no drill marks are seen.

Top Bottom