Glue and setup questions for a segmented pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

Which glue works best, CA or gorilla glue? I am afraid of the pieces coming off.

Do you glue the strips, drill the hole, then rotate the segments as you glue them, or do you cut, rotate then drill the blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwoodwright

Once all the cuts are made and you've sanded to get perfect joints, lay it out, join two pieces with poly and clamp. I tend to use a lot of clamps. Couple hours and you should be able to join two sub-sections. couple hours and you should have joined all the sections. Leave clamped up and wait till the next day. Now you drill, turn and finish...[:)]

The Brown & White is Corian and I had to use CA...[:)]

2005123201449_Corian%20pens%20004.jpg
<br />

G

It depends on the type of glue up.
When making segmented like the spiral "bricks as described on the home page articles I had to use ca.
I also use yellow for bentwood laminations.
Ther are times when you need and instant hold so I put glue on one piece and accelerant on the other.
One thing is certain, mating surfaces must be tight.
Another thing to remember, if you use ca glue it is as clear as a bell and you can look all the way through the glue joint right at the brass tube.
Has a tendency to stick out on a red and black pen.
(DAMHIKT)

tipusnr

Been only doing simple glue ups so far using Titebond II as I've not been gluing end grain to end grain. Probably will use CA or Gorilla when I finally do end grain to end grain.

Travlr7

I have always used thick CA with my pens for The Freedom Pen Program. I glue Corian to Corian to make the Red, White, and Blue stripes, then glue the stripe combo to the wood I'm using. My set-up time for Corian to Corian is about two minutes, Corian to Wood about four minutes, and blanks to roughed up brass tube is about four minutes. Using these times, I have very few blowouts, and none with the stripe package.

Not scientific, just my experience.

Bruce[;)]

woodscavenger

I had the same concern about expansion from previous segmented bowls. However the small size of these make them seem very vulnerable to blowing up if there is not enough sticky juice to go around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom