Glue setting Time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

I always wait 24 hours before turning any blanks that I've glued up. Therefor, I switched to 30 minute epoxy simply to give me more time to get more blanks glued up with each batch. I find that turning too soon increases the probability of the tube coming loose simply because of heat generated in the turning/sanding processes.

Jim Smith

walshjp17

I usually allow an overnight set up before turning when using 5-minute epoxy. On the odd occasion when I needed to do a pen quickly, I allow at least two hours, but have been bum-rushed on occassion and have successfully turned a few with only twenty-minutes 'cure' time.

rblakemore

I switched from CA to epoxy because we had several instances where the CA loosened while turning or in use. I am using a 5 minute epoxy; but, now think that 12 hours or more are needed to let cure. I have had 2 instances, one yesterday, where the epoxy has had about 2 hours to cure and still loosened. I am impatient today and so used CA to reglue the tube and will be re-turning in a minute to see if it holds.

kovalcik

I wait overnight for epoxy. Even with CA I prefer to wait overnight, though I will turn CA after an hour if I need to. I do this for fun, so I do not see any point in rushing things.

Top Bottom