Glue for segmented turnings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

esheffield

I'm wondering what kind of glue to use for segmented turnings. I've done a few pens with contrasting bands and accents on the ends that I did by turning down to the tube and gluing on the accents with CA. But for something like the multicolored segmented pen in the articles area of the site, what kind of glue is best? I assume poly is out, but regular woodworkers/carpenters yellow glue? CA? Any particular brands better for this than others? Any and all suggestions welcome!

Edit: I'm looking to minimize the glueline visibilty. Should have pointed that out!

Thanks!

Eddie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

C. Scott

Eddie,

I just did a cigar with two dowels inserted into the blank prior to turning and I used poly and I didn't have any problems. I am planning on try some conventional lamination and I will use poly on that too. It is <b>very</b> strong.

esheffield

Oh, ok. I haven't used poly before and I thought it might be a bit too thick and foamy yielding too visible glue lines, so I was more concerned with the aesthetics than the strength. But I have a habit of using too much glue with whatever I'm working on, so I may just need to exercise more care and restraint! :)

Thanks!

G

The third pen I made was the twisted segmented one on the the home page.
I also used CA on this one.
There are times when the quick bond is needed.
(I never did take a picture of the segmented one and it has sivce been sold.)
Red%20%20black%20cigar%20002.jpg

daledut

Even though I use poly to glue in my tubes, I like CA for laminations and glue ups. Especially when using an oily wood like Cocobolo, I have had failures trying to use poly, but CA works great.

elocyar

Eddie,
look at the titebond site.
http://www.titebond.com/download/pdf/ww/GlueGuideTB.pdf

Titebond II and III and the Titebond hide glue are all as strong as or stronger than poly. I have used the Molding and Trim glue to make laminated boxes. The glue lines were not visable because they were clear. it is not quite as strong as the poly but it worked.

Ray

esheffield

Thanks for all the comments. Sounds like good results can be had using either CA, poly, or woodworkers glues. Guess the thing to do then is pick one, try it, and see how it works out for me. Probably try CA or Titebond first since I have those on hand.

And Eagle and Doug, great looking pens! What woods did you use in that one Eagle?

Eddie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom