Glue question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Sean I use it . It requires moisture to cure , so is best to dip the blanks in water before gluing . That will alow you to begin turning in 2-3 hours . Otherwise , glue cure will take nearly a day . Wayne

randyrls

Can Gorilla Glue be used to glue in Barrels? thanks for any help, Sean

To answer your specific question, yes, Gorilla Glue, Titebond, Probond, or any of the polyurethane glues can be used. With any glue, you should rough up the brass tubes with sandpaper to give a good bond to the glue.

Also with this type of glue, check the brass tube after a 10-30 minutes and make sure the brass tube doesn't shift in the blank.

jkeithrussell

I use it with wood blanks. It gives you a better bond and a longer "set" time than CA. You do not have to wet the blank -- just dip the tube in a tub of water before applying the glue. It works well.

mrcook4570

There is enough moisture in the wood so there really is no need to dip the blanks in water. I have used Gorilla glue on thousands of pens and do not add any moisture to the blanks.

GouletPens

It's not uncommon to use any of the polyurethane glues, but the long cure time can be a turnoff for some. It's incredibly strong though. I mainly use two-part 5-minute epoxy though, because to me it's easier to work with and cures faster. I hope I'm not starting a fued by saying that!

PaulDoug

I use it more than anything else. I don't dip my blanks in water but I do swab the hole out with a wet Q-tip. I do this to add moisture and it also removes a lot of the drill dust from the hole which I think may have contributed to the one or two failures (tubes loosening) that I have experienced. I have had one tube move out of the hole about 1/8 of an inch once, so you have to kind of watch that also.

bitshird

I use Gorilla glue if I'm gluing up more than one or two sets of tubes, otherwise I spend more time mixing 5 min. Epoxy than I do gluing , I do swab the insides of the tubes with water and can turn them in an hour or two.

I use polyurethane glue on all my pens. For 7 mm tubes, I drill 9/32". This allows loose fit so that the glue is not rubbed off as the tubes are inserted. Enough moisture is supplied by blowing through the drilled holes by mouth. This also cleans out the dust.

Larry

jkeithrussell

I use Gorilla glue if I'm gluing up more than one or two sets of tubes, otherwise I spend more time mixing 5 min. Epoxy than I do gluing , I do swab the insides of the tubes with water and can turn them in an hour or two.

Use 60 minute epoxy! If my math is right, it will give you 55 additional minutes to glue up multiple blanks. :)

Top Bottom