glue problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Armacielli

last time I worked on this pen a big chip broke off to my horror b/c it's one of my good blanks
today Idid the awesomest of repair jobs. So good one wouldn't be able to tell where it broke
my problem now it that I used so much glue repair it I cant get the barrel off the mandrelHELP
HOW DO i GET IT OFF??!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Christian -

We need to know what kind of glue you used.

TWO LESSONS: First, don't repair on the mandrel. Second, always repair with finishing nails and molasses.

badger

you might be able to smack it off. :)

Sounds crazy, but I had a bushing stuck, and a couple quick taps with side of my skew on the bushing part was able to snap it loose. (it was off the mandrel, so I don't know if that helps.)

f you have not turned and finished your blank yet, take the mandrel off the lathe, put a rag around the blank and grip the blank with some pliers where the rag is. Now twist and you should be able to break the CA bond between the blank and the bushing.

If you have turned and finished the blank, you can still try the above technique, it's just that you run some risk of damaging the blank from pliers pressure. So, you may want to do the following instead:

First, take a Stanley knife or similar and score a line between the blank and the bushing all the way around the circumference of the bushing where it meets the blank. Do this while the mandrel is still in the lathe. Second, remove the other bushings and other blank. Third, try to twist the stuck blank and stuck bushing to break the CA bond. If you can't break the bond, go back to step one and try to score more deeply with the Stanley knife. Then twist the blank and the bushing apart again. Repeat these two steps until they come apart.

fiferb

I did this once.[:I] It was stuck so bad I wound up having to cut the blank off the mandrel using a parting tool. Sacrificed the blank but saved the mandrel after I got all the glue cleaned off. Now I do all my gluing on my bench with wax paper laid down.

loglugger

Use wax on your mandrel and bushings. If you can get a little acetone between the mandrel and bushing then try what proud poppa was saying. Careful with the acetone it will eat the finish.
Bob

JohnU

I had this problem once. I took all of the parts and bushings that I could off the mandrel except what was on the back side of the glued piece. I put the tail stock back in place against the mandrel and grabbed the bushing next to the glued piece with pliers and turn the lathe on low. As it spun, I pushed the bushing into the piece and eventually pushed it down the mandrel shaft where I could take it off.

BigJIm

Hi there. Try this method. I once had the same problem with a bottle stopper, Put the mandrel and blank in the freezer for about 15 minutes. Take it out and put it in a good vise with rubber jaws, give it a good whack and or twist it hard with your hands. Guess what, it worked. I do recommend this to my turning friends.
Jim from Perrysburg, Ohio

Top Bottom