To glue or not to glue?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

I have had problems with a few cigar pens when people try turning them to far. The tip extends then the transmission comes unscrewed. Does anyone glue the transmission threads to the coupler? How about finials? Does anyone routinely glue them in place? If so how long do you have to wait to put the thing together so the CA doesn't discolor everything?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

goldentouch

I haven't had to glue in the transmission to any. I have a pair of pliars I use mole skin on to keep from scratching the metal and just use a little more pressure. I haven't had a problem or a returned pen.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
The cigar pen is made to twist in both directions... twisted in one direction the tip will extend and the transmission will come to the end of it's travel... if twisted in the other direction the tip will extend and the transmission will come to the end of the travel.. however if the user continues to twist the pen the transmission will unscrew... This is how I show all my customer to change the refill... in the hands of a ham handed customer it is safer for them to unscrew the pen than to have them try to pull it apart..
If you glue the transmission threads to the coupler you are never going to be able to change the refill...
As for the discoloration from the CA finish or glue.. I always let all my finishes degass for at least 2-3 days before boxing them... better safe than sorry..

Can't imagine why anyone would want to glue the transmission in place in a Cigar Pen. That would be a one time use of the pen. As Tom says, you wouldn't be able to change the ink cartridge.

woodscavenger

Come on guys. I wouldn't think of gluing the transmission if it would not allow you to refill the pen! I always show people how to unscrew the nib fot the refill. Sheesh!

Darley

I never glue a transmission if something happen to the pen I want to be able to dismantle it, beside I would think that the CA could probably get into the mecanism and nothing will work. I change the refil by the transmission ( and I show the customer how to ) not by the nib I think that can be very dificult for some people especialy if they buy other pens made with other kits . Some people are Bananas ( to be polite )

Serge

Randy_

Originally posted by Old Griz<br />...twisted in one direction the tip will extend and the transmission will come to the end of it's travel... if twisted in the other direction the tip will extend and the transmission will come to the end of the travel.. however if the user continues to twist the pen the transmission will unscrew...

I have a cigar pen that extends the tip when twisted in one direction and retracts it when twisted in the other. It "DOES NOT" extend when twisted in either direction. Is my pen misfunctioning or do different manufacturers make their transmissions to function differently and if so does anyone know which is which??h??

esheffield

Haven't made a cigar pen myself yet, so this is just a wild-a** guess, but how about using thread locker? That should provide enough of a grip to keep someone from unscrewing it by hand, but yet still be able to remove it using cushioned pliers like what goldentouch describes a few posts up. If anyone tries this, you should probably stick to the "blue" thread locker. The "red" is much stronger and may be near impossible to break loose if necessary. Get it from a local auto parts store, or maybe Lowes, HD, etc.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Eddie, there is no way you want a customer to try to use any tools to unscrew the transmission so they can put in a new refill... Remember, the average customer is a ham handed individual who has no idea of how delicate the mechanism is... Unless you want to see a whole load of pens coming back for new transmissions and customers bad mouthing you for shoddy workmanship, I would suggest leaving the transmissions seated as designed...
These pens are designed to be used in a certain way... playing with shapes is a fine and dandy thing to do, but unless you know the intricacies of the mechanisms we are better off leaving it alone.
I just let the customer know that the pen is meant to be twisted in either direction and that continuing to twist count-clockwise (looking down from the cap) will unscrew to top and allow them to change the refill... I will know also let them now about unscrewing the nib as Eagle suggests...
On pens like the cigar where the top fits the mechanism tightly, I really don't like the idea of the customer pulling the top barrel off... besides they will never get the grain match again..

esheffield

I wasn't thinking in terms of the customer doing it. Should have mentioned I was thinking about the customer unscrewing the nib for refills since that's how the original poster says he instructs his customers to change the refill. Using the pliers to unscrew the transmission would be for the crafter to do a repair if necessary. Personally, I will probably NOT glue/lock the trans in myself when I do get around to making cigars. I was just trying to point out a possible options for original poster to consider.

Darley

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />Eddie, there is no way you want a customer to try to use any tools to unscrew the transmission so they can put in a new refill... Remember, the average customer is a ham handed individual who has no idea of how delicate the mechanism is... Unless you want to see a whole load of pens coming back for new transmissions and customers bad mouthing you for shoddy workmanship, I would suggest leaving the transmissions seated as designed...
These pens are designed to be used in a certain way... playing with shapes is a fine and dandy thing to do, but unless you know the intricacies of the mechanisms we are better off leaving it alone.
I just let the customer know that the pen is meant to be twisted in either direction and that continuing to twist count-clockwise (looking down from the cap) will unscrew to top and allow them to change the refill... I will know also let them now about unscrewing the nib as Eagle suggests...
On pens like the cigar where the top fits the mechanism tightly, I really don't like the idea of the customer pulling the top barrel off... besides they will never get the grain match again..

Agree with you Tom

Serge

timdaleiden

The CSU Cigar has a double twist mech. Turn it either way and the tip extends.

Originally posted by Randy.
[br
I have a cigar pen that extends the tip when twisted in one direction and retracts it when twisted in the other. It "DOES NOT" extend when twisted in either direction. Is my pen misfunctioning or do different manufacturers make their transmissions to function differently and if so does anyone know which is which??h??

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I was putting a cigar pen together yesterday and something occured to me.
As Griz stated the pen is a double twist.
Which end of the pen do you hold in your left hand?
which end ofthe pen do you turn?
Are you by any chance left handed?
Hold the pen horizontally.
If you hold the pen with the nib end in your left hand and turn the top AWAY from you the refill will extend OUT.
Turn the top the opposite direction the refill will retract and then extend out again.
Keep turning in this same direction the tranny will unscrew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom