glue glue glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

Imagine if you will, you are clumsy and messy and careless and you are gluing tubes into blanks. They are loose. You pipete thin ca into the cavity between the tub and blank till it runs out the other end. You spray it with accelerator and it foams. You do that several times till the void around the tube is completely filled. Now, how do you get all the extra glue you got in the tube because you were to lazy to plug it with a potato or something. Can i brush the inside of the tube with a qtip with acetone or is there some kind of wire bottle brush that would fit in most tubes. righ now i use an exacto knife and files and it takes a while.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Harbor Freight has a set of wire brushes. Some steel and some are brass. You only have to clean off enough for the components to fit into. Johnnycnc sells a reamer that might work.

el_d

I would use the sides of a dull drill bit. choose one that will enter the tube and work the opposite end pushing the "GUNK" out.

Then I went to H-depot's plumbing section and got a 1/2 inch wire brush used to clean out the pipes....... cheap.

Fred

It is a lot less work and even saves a little bit of money IF one is just patient and does not get it in the tubes in the first place. But, since most of us want to move ahead ... well "accidents" seem to happen daily.

These accidents are why pens mills were made with various sized shafts designed with cutters tips to remove any glue from the tubes.

... on yea, did I mention they also cut the ends of the blanks flat to allow that perfect fit of metal against wood! One important fact about these tools - THEY ARE NOT INTENDED TO BE USED WHILE ATTEMPTING TO HOLD THE BLANKS BY HAND! That would be why one would want to use a blank vise.

Imagine that all in one itsy-bitsy tool ... such geniuses! :eek:

ctubbs

Fred, it doesn't hurt much or long.:wink: Just get a tighter grip, the drill press won't mind.:beat-up: Channel Locks will help with the holding. I never seem to have enough time to lock the blank in the vice for cleaning:eek:
Charles

jlmort1980

I use a rod from a gun cleaning kit that I put in the vise grip and cut about a 3/4" slot on one end and put a folded over piece of sandpaper in and put the other end in my cordless drill. Works great for me....

fernhills

If hole in blank causes tube to flop around inside hole, well thin C/A is not a gap filler. I would shelf that blank and start over because it will not hold in the long run. There are all kinds of reasons a hole is to big for tube, and all can be corrected with out using c/a glue as a gap filler. Just my thoughts. Carl

Last edited:

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Imagine if you will, you are clumsy and messy and careless and you are gluing tubes into blanks. They are loose. You pipete thin ca into the cavity between the tub and blank till it runs out the other end. You spray it with accelerator and it foams. You do that several times till the void around the tube is completely filled. Now, how do you get all the extra glue you got in the tube because you were to lazy to plug it with a potato or something. Can i brush the inside of the tube with a qtip with acetone or is there some kind of wire bottle brush that would fit in most tubes. righ now i use an exacto knife and files and it takes a while.
I'd change my method of glueing tubes in the blanks. Try using 5 min. 2 part epoxy!:)

Wildman

We would not have a problem with glue in tubes if could just learn to apply right amount of glue each time!

You can destroy a pen tube trying to get dried glue out of a tube. Use different methods for different glues. Just do not get too aggressive.

Found using cheap set of dental picks to remove dried CA, Poly and Epoxy glue inside a tube best op. May start out using a craft knife on dry poly and epoxy glue. Sometimes can remove still wet epoxy glue with a cue-tip.

I have seen where pen mill would not go into the tube even when blank held by vice and mill in drill press. Also found Pen mill may not remove all glue.

I have used assorted brass and steel bore brushes that did not remove glue. I still run my bore brush through a tube before using the pen mill.

Craft knife did not reach and remove all the glue. Good for glue on outside the tube.

Have wrapped sandpaper around punch and worked it back and forth through tube. That worked removing glue but ruined the tube. I have use chainsaw and jeweler files to ruin a tube too. Still resort to using those methods from time to time just not aggressively.

Play dough plugs not always effective. Still better than not using on some kits. Have not tried wax or potato plugs, doubt ever will.

Top Bottom