Glue that fuses acrylic blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan_F

Is there a glue that bonds by fusing the "acrylic" material in pen blanks (similar to model airplane glue), as opposed to super glue or epoxy?

Thanks,

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
This is good STUFF, can't see a seam even on clear acrylics. Takes forever to get, ground shipping only. If you can find it locally, you must be in schaeffer city !

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=131

Like CA, this type of glue comes in thin, medium, etc. The thin is like water and does not set up as fast as CA. So, try to find the "not quite so thin" or be prepared to use a "clamping system" of some type to keep your parts from moving.

Not sure which one is pictured, I have used 3 or 4 -- all the cans look the same.

Dan_F

Thanks, found some locally at a plastics fabricator and distributor. I got #3, which is water thin, hadn't seen Ed's post, but I think this should work OK. At least with the thin it shouldn't slide around too much.

Dan

low_48

Pay attention to the handling instructions. That stuff is chemically "hot". They confiscated mine at work, unless I wanted to get special biological testing every quarter. I told them they could keep it. I don't use that much acrylic. They used to use it a lot in the model shop before I transfered in there.

Dan_F

Like CA, this type of glue comes in thin, medium, etc. The thin is like water and does not set up as fast as CA. So, try to find the "not quite so thin" or be prepared to use a "clamping system" of some type to keep your parts from moving.

Not sure which one is pictured, I have used 3 or 4 -- all the cans look the same.

Ed --- Does the "not so thin" set up faster than the thin? In my initial attempts, I'm having the same problem with parts sliding about, clamping seems to make it even worse, although at least my fingers aren't being joined to the pieces as well, as with CA glue.

Dan

Dan_F

Pay attention to the handling instructions. That stuff is chemically "hot". They confiscated mine at work, unless I wanted to get special biological testing every quarter. I told them they could keep it. I don't use that much acrylic. They used to use it a lot in the model shop before I transfered in there.

Will do, though I won't be working with it all that much, so it shouldn't be as much of a problem as it would in a work environment, where exposure would be more frequent and prolonged.

Dan

Art Fuldodger

Thanks, found some locally at a plastics fabricator and distributor. I got #3, which is water thin, hadn't seen Ed's post, but I think this should work OK. At least with the thin it shouldn't slide around too much.

Dan

Yeah, methyl chloride (what is in the Weldon #3) does the job quite well. It is, however, quite a nasty chemical - by the time you can smell it even a little, you're already exceeding acceptable exposure levels. Wear your respirator or do it in a good breeze.

Stick Rounder

There is no clamping needed. Very light pressure is all you need. The sales rep at the plastic shop demo'd it for me, the "glue" is not glue at all it melts the plastic pieces together.

Sylvanite

The commercial acrylic cement is typically a methylene chloride mixture. A plastics manufacturer I know tells me that methyl-ethyl-ketone (MEK), which is commonly available by the gallon at hardware stores also works.

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom