Glue day Today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Anglesachse

Sung to the tune of : Hermans Hermits, No Milk Today.:biggrin:

Glue Day Today , My love has gone away, da da da da da da.

Wife is at sewing class, What do you do to pass the time?

No football on TV, No cold beer in the fridge, life is a bummer.

STOP. But I`ve still got a couple of blanks from "robutacion" I could use the time to be productive.

George, got to say, Love the blanks.

Attachments

• Glue day.jpg
    Glue day.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 293
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

Sung to the tune of : Hermans Hermits, No Milk Today.:biggrin:

Glue Day Today , My love has gone away, da da da da da da.

Wife is at sewing class, What do you do to pass the time?

No football on TV, No cold beer in the fridge, life is a bummer.

STOP. But I`ve still got a couple of blanks from "robutacion" I could use the time to be productive.

George, got to say, Love the blanks.

When gluing pens this way I find in a while coming back and removing excess glue flow to be a blessing then and not later. When I use poly glue I always use a rubber band around the ends of the blank and remove that when I clean up.

Peter.

thewishman

Had to look up the song - didn't remember it from kindergarten. Henry the VIII has been stuck in my head for more than 35 years. (Or is it 'Enery the VIII?):wink:

Looks like you have some great stuff to turn.:)

kentonjm

There is a nice batch of pens there waiting to be made. It looks like you are using gorilla glue, is that right?

I am new to pen work and so far have used thick CA. It seems that epoxy would be even messier but gorilla glue might have lots of advantages with its gap filling properties. How do you find it holds up any issues with blanks adhering to the tubes? Also how do you apply it and do you moisten or spritz the inside of the blank?

Thanks

Anglesachse

There is a nice batch of pens there waiting to be made. It looks like you are using gorilla glue, is that right?

I am new to pen work and so far have used thick CA. It seems that epoxy would be even messier but gorilla glue might have lots of advantages with its gap filling properties. How do you find it holds up any issues with blanks adhering to the tubes? Also how do you apply it and do you moisten or spritz the inside of the blank?

Thanks

Hi Jon,

I love using Gorilla as it is very forgiving.

First of all I just breath through the drilling in the blank then pour a small amount of glue in the hole. The next is, using a piece of thin welding rod I make sure the the glue is spread across entire inner face of the hole.

The tube is then pushed slightly into the hole and a spot of Glue is added to the point where the tube enters the blank. I then push and rotate the tube until it is in its final position.

Leave them overnight.

When the glue is cured it is very easy to break away, and then push and rotate the blank onto a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the inner diameter of the tube.
Up to now I have had no issues with this method. And no loose tubes.

I hope this was helpfull and I wish you at least as much fun with Pen turning as I have.

Anglesachse

OK, the blanks are now glue free and the ends are trimmed down to the tube.

Had a bit of a shock as I added these to the blanks waiting to be turned.

Been doing a bit of jumping from one operation to the other and didn`t really realise that I have been concentrating on the work building up to turning.

I now have 132 blanks to be turned... Winter is coming.

Attachments

• pen collection.jpg
    pen collection.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 110
Top Bottom