Glue Blues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

OSCAR15

I have ALWAYS used a 5 min epoxy to cement in my tubes, with no problems. Usually, ready to trim and turn in 30 mins. Lately, I find it doesn't set up. I bought more epoxy thinking it went bad. This new epoxy is worse. It can sit for 3 hours and not be hard (to the point I can easily remove tubes). Yes I do rough the tubes up (60 grit paper).
Now my question,,,can temperature, humidity etc. be causing this? I have turned all previous pens using epoxy. This has only occured in the last few weeks (with every single blank!) Oscar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GBusardo

Oscar, Did you change brands? Over the years I seem to remember having more luck with certain brands on different types of projects than others. I almost always use CA to glue my tubes though, unless there is slop.
Good Luck

GBusardo

I just thought of something!!!! I think it was Walmart had packages of locktite on sale or clearance or something for a buck a package. I bought two. I haven't used it yet. Now I am wondering if there was a reason for the low price. [?]

alamocdc

Oscar, I use Devcon 5 min as well and I've not had a problem turning in 30 minutes... even with epoxy that is about a year old. Temperature and humidity could be factors, but neither has resulted in what you describe. Like Frank said, thourough mixing is pretty critical.

gerryr

Also, contrary to what the name implies, if there is more hardener than resin, it will not set up. I always try to have a little more resin than hardener when I mix epoxy and have so far never had a batch that didn't cure. I use a pallette knife to mix it and never spend less about a minute mixing it. I use 15 min epoxy from Bill Smith Industries. I usually glue up 6-7 sets at a time and 5 min sets up to fast for me.

OSCAR15

Originally posted by GBusardo
<br />I just thought of something!!!! I think it was Walmart had packages of locktite on sale or clearance or something for a buck a package. I bought two. I haven't used it yet. Now I am wondering if there was a reason for the low price. [?]
Gary: The Loctite I bought was from Lowe's. $ oz bottles at about 15 bucks...
I tool advise on the forum and mixed excepitonally well, and it worked fine. I guess I had gotten lax in mixing it up... Thanks...Oscar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom