Glue for aluminum segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bgibb42

I have been trying to incorporate some aluminum segmenting into some wood pen blanks recently and each time have had a failure of the glue joints either when drilling the blanks or when turning the blanks. I have only used medium CA when doing the glue-ups and I am scuffing up the aluminum before I apply any glue. I try to drill the blanks slowly to minimize any heat build up and try to keep my tools sharp when turning, but still experience small broken pieces of wood separating from the aluminum along the cut lines. This is thin aluminum (from soda cans), and on the most recent attempt, I allowed the glue to set up for almost 48 hours before turning. Should I try a different glue, or is something wrong with the techniques that I may (or may not) be using?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikemac

What kind of drill bit are you using? Bradpoint? Are the segments square across the blank? If you answered yes to both of these questions :rolleyes: you may be getting small aluminum discs stuck at the base of your bit when drilling, and further pressure when drilling pulls the joint apart.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Mike

bgibb42

I am using bradpoint bits, but the segments are curved, cut on the scrollsaw. Maybe I should switch to twist drills?

jttheclockman

Yes twist bits and I always step drill when any metal is involved. I also always use epoxy. CA is too brittle. Need to roughen the metal also.

hewunch

I have never had a problem with twist bits and thick CA. Make sure you scuff up the pieces though.

DurocShark

For cans make sure you sand off any color or coating. You want bare aluminum.

Sharpen your twist bits frequently.

If you continue to have glue failures, try JBWeld. But be sure you want a black glue line.

KenV

There are coating applied to beer and soda cans on both sides. They do make adhesion much more problematic. Nice to recycle, but you may want to try flat stock metal with significant abrasion. The ship chandlers sell phosphoric acid to etch the aluminum for better bonding with marine epoxy; and the coatings on cans are to keep such etching from happening.

Top Bottom