Glue for Acyrlics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike5753

I am working on a dsign and need to laminate some acyrlic blanks. Haven't done this before so what type of glue should I use? Some of the laminations will be quite thin in 1/8 range. I assume Ca would work.

Thanks

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Steve Busey

CA is probably the easiest and best. If you need a lot of working time to get pieces lined up, go with the thicker CA. Use thin CA if you can make your connections quickly.

I used CA on the red & white bands here.

TBCbushings

I have used a special glue for acrylic, I was gluing clear so the joints had to be perfect. It is like water, you put the parts together and apply the glue at the seam and the glue travels in the joint and welds then together. Any glass shop that carries acrylic sheet should have it...On that note CA is probably the best bet for your application. It is colored blanks right? So CA will be the best .
Brian

rogerpjr

glue for acrylic

The best solvent glue for all acrylic materials is methylene chloride. This is what the professional shops use and can be purchased from plastics suppliers.

Be careful with it though. Methylene chloride is a known carcinogen and should be used with proper PPE and preferrably in a ventilated area if you are using very much or working for a longer period of time. Like any other hazardous material (including CA) it is safe if used properly.

By the way, since I mentioned CA, you need to be careful with it as it is a known sensitizer. This means that the more you use it, the more you become sensitized to the affects of the material. It does cause irritation and burning of the eyes and mucuos membranes (in your nose and throat) and can cause respiratory problems from simple difficulty in breathing (stuffy nose) to to a full fledged asthma attack. Everyone is affected differently, but it is especially bad for people with existing respiratory ailments like asthma.

ldb2000

If the laminations are perfect with no gaps then this would be a perfect time to use Gorilla glue . Polyurethane glues are made for this kind of glue up . They are quite strong and can be squeezed very thin without worries about glue starvation of the joint . The foam squeeze out will have to be cleaned up afterwards but the joints will hold up to tremendous stresses and can take heat quite well much better then either CA or Epoxy .

Top Bottom