Glue?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AnachitlPut

My shop teacher wanted to know what glue to use for acrylics. He had proplems with using ca due to the barrel turning after it's glued.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I've used CA for over a decade. Thick or medium (not thin, runny--every manufacturer seems to have their own standards) and put it on and rotate the blank several times while inserting the tube. Wait for it to cure overnight (yes, I know the label says "an hour").

Many hundreds of pens, probably one in 200 spun. When I saw the tube, it did not have good glue coverage.

CA glue is great!! But, it does need to be "well spread around" to work right.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I use CA without a problem. Make sure you clean out any dust before gluing in your tube. I usually use medium CA or thick if the hole is a bit large.

jd99

I use CA the Thick slow curing stuff from Monty, I put a ring around the inside of the blank, and put it on the tube, then rotate and slide the tube back and forth so the tube gets completly covered with CA then push it all the way in.

I wait over night also before turning, I might square the ends and if wood seal the ends with thin CA after a couple-three hours but don't turn til the next day or so. (Or when SWMBO lets me back in the shop):wink:

Haven't had a failure yet (I'm knocking on my wood pen):rolleyes:.

Dragonlord85

I use medium CA from Monty. My method is to coat the brass tube, spry the inside of the blank with accelerator and then insert the brass tube. I let it sit for 5 minutes, square the ends and it is ready to turn. I have not had a blank fail yet.

Padre

I mostly use medium CA from Monty. Sometimes I go with the gorilla glue. I have also recently started using Monty's 5 minute epoxy. All three are great.

One thing that helps, IMHO, is that you use a q-tip to clean out the ends of the tubes before any glue sets up.

Dustygoose

Thick CA. Rarely, depending on how transparent the blank is, 5 min epoxy tinted with paint. Both ordered from Monty. Only one failed and was like Eds, Not full coverage on the tube

Top Bottom