Which Glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RogerH

+1 on using medium CA. Made my own blanks out of strips aluminum pop cans and black acrylic, and the medium ca worked well, though it took a while to set up.

okiebugg

Gorilla glue

I use gorilla glue especially when I am doing metal. It will permanently bond almost anything to anything. I've never had it fail.

Alzey

+1 on using medium CA. Made my own blanks out of strips aluminum pop cans and black acrylic, and the medium ca worked well, though it took a while to set up.

That is why i love this forum, always finding great ideas that don't cost a fortune. I would have never thought of using a soda can for the inlay. :biggrin:Brilliant:biggrin:

Last edited:

IPD_Mr

Like many others I use CA as that was how I was taught on here. The real problem with CA and metals is that the metal will hear up very fast and the CA will fail at about 165 degrees. So to do this it takes a tone of patience in both turning and drilling. You need to treat it like snakewood, heat is the enemy.

moke

I have been segmenting with thick CA and had reasonably good results---I sand the metals in order to rough them and the drill a blank with a standard high speed bit over a half and hour or so in a collet chuck while blowing air in the hole. I have used CA so I can get a reasonable set up time so as to get a seg'ed blank done in a night or so.

The gorilla glue interests me. I have some and use it if I have a blank with a slightly oversize hole, but it seems to have a slower set up time---am I wrong? I do not mean to hijack the thread, but this seems to be on target....

Last edited:

moke

That is why i love this forum, always finding great ideas that don't cost a fortune. I would have never thought of using a soda can for the inlay. :biggrin:Brilliant:biggrin:

Alzey--
There was a thread about a year ago or so about material people use for segs....I tried to find it but could not. I use a lot of different materials....I put in some new mini blinds and used the extras louvers for segs...both the cheap-o thin kind and the thick ones....Of course the wife has no idea of why I did not want any blinds that had any texture to them! I also use the black plastic inserts for three ring binders and of course pick guard.

Top Bottom