Glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thostorey

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada.
I was reading a thread a couple of days ago and a member seemed to dislike PU glue. I use it and have for quite some time. The pens I made 6 years ago have the inserts held by PU and I've not heard of them causing problems. What am I missing here? Why do some (many?) not like or distrust Poly Urethane glue??

EricJS

I think it's a matter of choice with most people. The biggest complaint on polyurethane glues is that the tube can get pushed out during the first few minutes of curing. I've glued many tubes and this hasn't happened to me yet, but I spend a few minutes checking them after glue-up and can adjust the tube if necessary.

I use poly for most blanks - especially wood. I use epoxy for transparent & translucent blanks. I've used CA only a couple times - when I wanted to turn the blank ASAP.

Polyurethane glue expands in gaps and can add an element of flexibility if the material needs to expand or contract. However, you shouldn't mistake the gap filling "foam" as high strength. Anyone trying to compensate for a hole drilled too large might experience failure using this glue.

rizaydog

Like Eric said, CA cures quickly. I think that is why most people use it to glue in the tubes. I use it for that reason. Also, I always end up getting the PU glue on my hands. Then my fingers turn black. Either glue is fine, its just a matter of choice.

Top Bottom