glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curtis

i am new to to this and would like to know what glue you use to glue wood together with. i tryed ca and it came apart when lathed it down

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DozerMite

Banned
If you are only trying to glue two pieces of wood together, use yellow wood glue. They also have dark wood glue for dark woods. You can also use Gorilla glue.

fernhills

Hi, it is always best to work glued up projects at least 6 hours or the next day. Thats what i do, whats the hurry, when you are making a masterpiece. Carl

KenBrasier

+1 on the TiteBond II or III. I use mostly the TiteBond III, because when I glue something I want it to stay glued. It is important for the parts to fit well together, and I avoid sanding the mating surfaces as sanding fills the pores of the mating surfaces. Lastly, use plenty of clamps, and get those babies nice and tight IMHO.

Parson

Another tip to insure adhesion is to take compressed air and blow off each piece before gluing. Keeps the glue from adhering to dust instead of wood.

I use thick CA glue for wood to wood bonding and it seems to work well for me. I'm sure the other glues mentioned here would work well too. Frankly, anything decent and thick glue-wise will probably work as long as it's been clamped tightly and cured for 12-24 hours.

I'm learning that curing time is really important with CA glue in particular. When I coat a blank with medium CA and let it set on the lathe 24 hours before wet sanding it with 600 grit paper, the glue has fully hardened and doesn't sand off, requiring another coat and another day of curing. I can only imagine that bonding with the stuff is equally as important when it comes to curing.

Padre

To glue wood to wood I use Titebond 3. For tubes I use ca most of the time.

nava1uni

I use almost every glue mentioned here. Clamping is important, but don't over clamp or you will squeeze all of the glue out of the joint and then you will have a failure. This is true is all woodworking.

Top Bottom