gloss blackening tubes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rsmith

Anyone have any ideas on how to get a nice "glossy" black finish on a brass tube? I had an idea I was working on, and for it to work I think this may be the only way. It started out as just a "see what this looks like" throwaway thing, but after ruining too many perfectly good blanks I am know determined to actually make this work at least once:beat-up:
I need the "finish" to add a little bulk to the tube (1-2 MM total), I tried turning a black acrylic, but it got thin as paper and just flaked right off. I tried using a smaller tube for more material thickness, not gonna work with what I'm thinking...I tried painting then putting CA over, not glossy just a shiny matte finish...
I feel like I'm missing something so basic that I will feel like an idiot when someone gives me the idea...sooooooo, any ideas?:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Anyone have any ideas on how to get a nice "glossy" black finish on a brass tube? I had an idea I was working on, and for it to work I think this may be the only way. It started out as just a "see what this looks like" throwaway thing, but after ruining too many perfectly good blanks I am know determined to actually make this work at least once:beat-up:
I need the "finish" to add a little bulk to the tube (1-2 MM total), I tried turning a black acrylic, but it got thin as paper and just flaked right off. I tried using a smaller tube for more material thickness, not gonna work with what I'm thinking...I tried painting then putting CA over, not glossy just a shiny matte finish...
I feel like I'm missing something so basic that I will feel like an idiot when someone gives me the idea...sooooooo, any ideas?:)

Have someone powdercoat it for you. Or just keep spray painting layers of black gloss paint. But if you are going to cast it then use high heat paint like home depots barbaque paint. The last suggestion and I have never done this one but take a black acrylic rod and spin it down to the size you want and then drill the proper sized holes for the kit parts and eliminate the tube.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
What about a piece of black shrink tubing on a tube? Then put a ca finish on the tubing if you need it glossy. Should give you the thickness your looking for.

TomS

Maybe applying paint with a brush would make it thicker. Use paint from a bottle, don't put spray paint in a jar and brush that.
Tom

rsmith

OK, some nice ideas, now a few ?'s...

John/smitty, I am not familiar with what the finished powdercoating looks like, can it polish to a gloss? I just have no experience with it (I dont think) I DID however blow out 3 blanks trying to turn the acrylic to size and just drill for components...:rolleyes: Still too thin on the edges...

ssajn, shrink tubing may be a possibility since I do need to add a small amount of diameter, any ideas where to get some? Is that something available at home depot or hobby stores?

brooks, I thought about nail polish so I may have to pick some up to at least give it a try

No casting involved, it's going to be a background for some metal overlay work, but the black will be like the "canvas" so it needs to be nice enough (like a finished piece of acrylic) for a finished product.

Thanks again

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Chameleon tubes are available in black for some CS USA kits and some Berea kits, also available from Bear Tooth Woods and Arizona Silhouette. A spray finish (lacquer or poly) will give it a high gloss.

darrin1200

What is the inside and finished outside diameter you need. I have a couple of ideas floating around in my head, but need the measurements to know if they will make sense. Perhaps a custom tube.

Darrin

CaptG

Rob, go with the powdercoating. You can get a powdercoat setup from Harbor Freight and a toaster oven from goodwill. The powdercoat will hold up to glue and resin that you may want to cast. You can build up the thickness with repeat layers. I get my powder from Rosies powder coat supplies online and you can get gloss black or put a coat of clear over flat black and make it shine with no buffing. Powder coat takes 20 to 30 minutes in the oven and is ready to use after it cools to room temp, no 24 hour wait for paint to cure, so it is much faster, and it will not react with ca or epoxy and "pull" exposing the brass tube like paint will when you glue it up. A little more cost up front to get set up, but you will be way ahead in just a short time. Just my opinion and not any better than any of the others posted, just food for thought.

PR_Princess

Another vote for the powder coating.

Rob, PM me with the type of tubes and your addy and I will pop a PC set in the mail to you. This may not be the final answer, but you should be able to see if we are on the right path. :)

el_d

What about using your acrylic and right before the skew rips the balnk off the Tube, Switch to the 320skew.

320 wet/dry automitive sandpaper on a sanding block to bring it in to you dimensions.

Its a little cheaper than setting up for powder coating.........It may work depending on how the blank is glued in

Top Bottom