Is this a gloat? -> historical interest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hilltopper46

A co-worker brought me some wood today that he wants made into "up to 20" pens.

20087214245_002.jpg

This is elm from the Indiana Constitutional Elm tree.

The constitution for the state of Indiana was drafted under this tree in Corydon, Indiana in 1819. The tree died in 1924 and was cut down in 1925.

I have to tell you I feel a bit of trepidition cutting into this wood. I bet I get over it, though.:D:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

50% upfront! careful cuts to length needed for selected kits, more than 20 blanks, you get bonus blanks and he needs to provide COA's re the source of the wood.

Seriously, check the grain and figure you can see to try and cut to maximize the appearance of the blanks and draw on your cuts before you cut...use a pencil, as interior grain appears, you may need to change your line of attack. Good luck with the cutting and the order!

fiferb

Very nice. I have some Secession Oak that I was recently given. This is the oak tree where the members in South Carolina gathered to decide to secede from the union prior to the civil war.

Chasper

I sent an email and as I mention, my ggg grandfather David Robb was one of the delegates to the Indiana Constitutional Convention that was held under that tree. Congratulations on the commission.

hilltopper46

I have marked out the blanks on this wood, although I have not started cutting it yet. It makes what I believe will be 21 blanks that are 1 x 7/8 x 5-3/8 inch, plus two or three blanks that are questionable because of cracks in them.

Chasper, I got your PM. I will be responding fairly soon.

2008733732_001.jpg

2008733749_003.jpg

2008733831_006.jpg

GoodTurns

Tony, looks logical if you are selling blanks or if the kit you are making requires 5 3/8". I frequently buy undersized boards, knowing that I only need 4 1/2 or so for most of the kits I make. If you are planning this tightly, don't make a bunch of nuggets!

Jon

hilltopper46

Thanks for the advice on cutting the blanks. It will help to yield a few more blanks out of this piece of wood.

For those who may be interested, here is the piece cut into strips with one of the strips cut into blanks.
20087801543_038.jpg

In addition to these three blanks, there are two more, made into the pens shown here:

One on black titanium.

200878080_Pen261.jpg

And one on chrome.

2008780833_Pen262.jpg

Finally, a close of of the feathering that occurs in the grain - so while these pens are plain, they are not totally without character.

20087801354_Pen262B.jpg

Gagler

I think that is a really neat way to preserve history for a tree that died nearly 100 years ago. Not to sound wierd, but when I hold things like that, I always think of the history, people who are no longer here who may have touched the same thing, if the treee could "talk" with what it witnessed in life, etc. To me, those type of things can't be pegged by a monetary value (except in your case, I hope you cash it in). Thanks for sharing this!

GBusardo

Tony,
I love history and stories like this. I hope you profit as much from the experience as well as monetarily . Those pens look real nice. :D You are going to make at least twenty people real happy!

Chasper

Good job on the pens and in making use of the wood. Turning them into pens is a fitting way to save this particular bit of history, it was under this tree that the constitution of Indiana was written. Turning them into very nice pens is even better. Good work.

Top Bottom