A gloat, a guess...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi everyone,

Today, in amongst the rainy and miserably humid day, I cut a fairly small piece of wood that I found last week under some pine wood I collected from a place nearby a couple of years ago. What I found under the pine pile was part of something else that we cleaned up from this yard as all was going to be burnt.

I tried to store all of the "other" wood separate from the half rotten pile stuff but some how, in the very first of 8 loads with a 6x4 trailer, this piece was picked up first and therefore piled under lots of pine stuff, logs, roots, branches, you name it.

The rest of this better wood I'm referring to, was used straight away and 2 large chunks were sold to a turner that come and visited me, from some distance away but, when he saw those "bits", he had to have 2 of the biggest ones, leaving me with enough for a few dozens pen blanks that were selected in 2 types.

One was the top grade stuff and the other was a second grade still producing some amazing pens. The top grade, as soon as I offered some for sale, they all went before I had time to wipe my nose...!:eek: The 3 samples I made firstly, was all I endup with but was fine, no problem...!

Last week and in preparation for the winter coming our way, I got some of the oldest firewood I had stored in the storage paddock and I couldn't believe my eyes when at the very bottom of the pile I saw this "chunk" of something that I haven't manage to find anything even close, since...!

The wife waxed 2 faces of each blank and she put then in a tray, calling me and saying, "what a batch of pretty blanks...!!!", I looked and I could see that this chunk produced blanks even superior than the previous lots, making grab the camera and with a little day light left, I took a couple of pics.

I accept that, the pics will be seen as a bit of a tease, and sorry about that but, the reason why I posted then at this time, is to ask you all, what do you think they are...???:)

Unfortunately, I can now guarantee that is no more of this stuff left, as the whole pile has been cleaned up so, no more surprise finds of missplaced pieces...!!!:mad:

Have fun and good luck...!

PS: You can give as many guesses as you wish, there are no prizes to those that got it right, or..., are they...???:confused::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I accept that, the pics will be seen as a bit of a tease, and sorry about that but, then reason why I posted then at this time, is to ask you all, what do you think they are...???:)

What I think they are, are mine. I misplaced them and thanks for finding them. You can call them anything you want, hope you send them back. Oh yea keep one or two. :biggrin:

Fred

My eyes, my eyes ... they will never be the same again!

Being as they are from Australia I would venture that they are that very dangerous rare "Deadly Wood", mysterious, highly toxic, glow in the dark, and let us not forget radioactive species from deep in the bush. So deep in fact that nobody has ever seen them before.

Quick, you MUST give each of us a blank so we can all try and find a remedy to save you blokes. Just send me a heads-up and I'll get a containment vessel out to you straight away.

In the meantime, protect the youngins and others from getting near these blanks ... :biggrin:

David Keller

I'm guessing it's eucalyptus burl since most of the trees down under belong to that family. As to which of the 1000 different eucalyptus tress it could be, I have no idea. The coloring reminds me of red mallee. Whatever it is, it's pretty!

robutacion

A large hole in some pockets???

Bruce

Hey, hey, I'm not that expensive Mister, blame the Australia Post do ya...???:eek::wink: or you could always move the land of the "1.000 different ways to get bitten when dealing/handling woods...!":eek:

Hahahahaha, David is right, is one of the Eucalyptus, one of mine, after all I already gave a hint when I said " as soon as I offered some for sale, they all went before I had time to wipe my nose...!:eek:" :wink::wink::wink::biggrin:

I only wish that I had more than what is in that plastic container, some shorts are underneath also, damn...!:mad:

They are all more than dry also so, I may do something with them soon...!:wink:
I just don't like to put too much stuff in here too quickly, better keep an eye on my eBay store, just in case I decide to do something sooner rather than later, and maybe not, not sure...!

I still need to have its name, people...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

Really guys, isn't that difficult...!

David mention the possibility to be one of the 1.000 eucalyptus that grow in Australia, I did not only agree with him but also said that was 1 of mine so, how many eucalyptus species to I have in my timbers list...??? 11 (eleven) to be precise so that is 989 less eucalyptus species to worry about, huh...???

The pic bellow is one of the original pics I took when I brought the wood home, there were a few smaller pieces, one of them was the one that I re-found recently...!

Any ideas...???:wink:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• timber preparation 072_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 072_(1).jpg
    84 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

minus459

George, you and I know that it's from the tree that Drop Bears live in. It's so sacred that it's known as the "Gum With No Name" and as you are well aware there is a law against exporting it, so just send it over the border to me, you have my address and I will treat it with the reverance it deserves.:rolleyes:

Peter

robutacion

George, you and I know that it's from the tree that Drop Bears live in. It's so sacred that it's known as the "Gum With No Name" and as you are well aware there is a law against exporting it, so just send it over the border to me, you have my address and I will treat it with the reverance it deserves.:rolleyes:

Peter

Oh yeah...! now you're telling me...!:eek::wink:

I'm yet to find the tree species where Drop Bears live in, maybe they are found more in your neck of the woods than mine, huh...???

I which that the "Gum With No Name - GWNN" was that sacred and rare/protected to the point that, exports are prohibit, I would be a millionaire...!!!:biggrin:

Sending it (some, off-course, don't be so greedy...!) over the border and to the address I have, doesn't seem that impossible in fact, quite doable, you only have to keep your eyes open when it becomes available, somewhere. There are only 2 places where that can happen so, I don't think that would be that difficult...!:wink:

Keep dreaming, my friend...!:rolleyes::wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

OK so, someone here with very persistent attempts to get the name of these blanks correct, have in fact gave the correct name of the wood species these blanks come from but, what part of the tree it come from or, what typical name is given to this sort of wood...???

This and the correct name of the wood species, will be the correct answer I'm looking for and maybe, just maybe I reward that person, it will only be one condition...!:rolleyes::biggrin:

You nearly there mister .......!!!:eek:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

Reward offered...!

How about Spotted Gum Root/Burl?

Bingo, bulls-eye, finally...!:biggrin:

I know well, how timber identification can be a tough job but, anyone that follow my wood adventures and many pics, will be in a good position to get around names when I through so many hints, nevertheless, I have decided to award the person that would give me the correct name of the blanks shown on my first post, with the possibility of having 5 or 6 of these blanks, whatever fits safely in a 500gr. package free of charge, if that person is prepared to pay for the shipping costs.

In this case, the person given the correct answer, after many attempts is, jlmort1980 and according to the information I have, he is in the USA so the shippings costs will be AU$17.20

There is only one more thing I need to know before this thread reaches its intended purpose, there is, is jlmort1980 interested in my offer...???

A yes or a no is good enough, if yes, Paypal me AU$17.20 to nyodine@yahoo.com.au the Paypal payment confirmation will have your shipping info so, a box will be sent, no questions asked...!:eek::wink:

Sometimes, reading my long(ish) threads/posts, can have its advantages, huh...???:wink::biggrin:

PS: I would certainly not mind to see a couple of these blanks transformed into some "proper" pens...!:cool::embarrassed:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom