Gilmer Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I just spent the last hour surfing here. What beautiful wood! Makes me want to buy big hunks, slice it into pen blanks and resell it. Not to make a profit, just for the sheer enjoyment! I wonder if we could make some group buys, similar to Daniel's CA buy.

That brings up another question... I enjoy turning stabilized wood, but how important is that? I can see for some burls or spalted pieces how that's almost essential, but is it really required? Who can explain the stabilization process to me? :)

Hey, looks like I need to add "spalted" to the spell checker!

woodpens

It isn't necessary to stabilize all blanks nor even all burls. Stabilization is a great process that will turn a soft, punky wood that would otherwise break apart during turning into a solid blank that finishes like acrylic. It can be used for most wood types even if they are not soft and punky. The effect it has on the finish is worth the price to me. Some wood types that do not take stabilization well include cocobolo and lignum vitae. Any wood that contains a significant amout of oil is not a good candidate for stabilizing. Some of the woods I have stabilized include maple burl, anything spalted, amboyna burl, black ash burl, spalted alder & york gum burl. I send my blank to Bill Baumbeck for stabilizing. He doesn't do it himself, but saves me some bucks because he has so much of it done. The two pens below were both turned from stabilized wood.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
200422313214_JLmapbur.jpg
<br /> 13.96&nbsp;KB

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
200422313254_JLcandybeb.jpg
<br /> 15.65&nbsp;KB

Daniel

one way to do that would be to figure the wood cost in cost per blank, then sell the blanks until a piece can be bought. selecting the exact piece might get sticky though. to give an idea of responce. the second CA order is at over $500.00 in total cost so far and orders are still coming in. this is from only 24 participants. the turners will respond to a great price once they see the system is working. the first order was put together and made fast just for that reason. might be a little tougher with such high priced stuff like the wood. but a trial buy could be made for some of the lower priced pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom