Getting Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

Ok...now put away your dirty thoughts...this is legitimate question! :biggrin:

Now that I have a chuck and can turn decent bowls I want to start looking for some wood. There is a guy down the street who does tree work, and there are a million tree services around.

How do you go about getting wood from them? Just ask? Offer something in return?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigguyZ

Ok...now put away your dirty thoughts...this is legitimate question! :biggrin:

Now that I have a chuck and can turn decent bowls I want to start looking for some wood. There is a guy down the street who does tree work, and there are a million tree services around.

How do you go about getting wood from them? Just ask? Offer something in return?

I would say that asking is the best bet. That, or asking, and offering something in barter.

Personally, when I was looking for some wood for free, I found numberous threads on Craigslist for wood. People will offer if for free, because you're hauling it away for free! Pretty good deal, methinks.

jleiwig

I would say that asking is the best bet. That, or asking, and offering something in barter.

Personally, when I was looking for some wood for free, I found numberous threads on Craigslist for wood. People will offer if for free, because you're hauling it away for free! Pretty good deal, methinks.

The craigslist here has the wood, on the hoof if you will. I'm not quite up to the task of taking down a whole tree for someone to get some wood.

jfoh

Drop by local tree trimming services and get to know them. Bring them a couple dozen doughnuts and they will remember you, trust me. Wood to them is waste to be chipped, cut into firewood, hauled off or cut into boards with a portable saw mill. Spaulted wood is almost always chipped if too soft for firewood. Lowest value to them in either case. They will be happy to find another outlet for the wood. A few pens, a few doughnuts or McD's meals and you will have more wood than you can ever imagine. One spaulted tree may yield 20-30 bowls or several hundred pen blanks. When it is cold I have stopped and dropped off coffee and those doughnut holes if I see them on a job site. Two or three cups of coffee and a box of holes makes a very strong impression on those guys.

khogan16

I would just ask them and give them your number. I did that recently, I told him if he came across some burls to let me know.

Wildman

Yes, tree trimmers can be a good source of wood to turn. Tree trimmers also sell trees to local sawmills or firewood dealers. Most do not want you to waste their time.

When dealing with tree trimmers do be specific about species, (softwood, hardwood or both) size, and quantity you are looking for. Also when you are available to pick up anything they have for you.

People pay trimmers extra to remove debris & wood after cutting trees down. They cannot wait a few days or week for you to make a pick-up. Wood & debris go straight to the dump. Depending upon the job, city/county fees maybe cheaper to haul away. So wood & debris remain on site few days after cutting. Asking the homeowner for some wood will not hurt. Also, do not rule out regular trips to the city/county dump. You will have to ask employees there too!

John Eberly

Bowl Stock

You want to get the wood while it's wet if possible - once fresh cut logs start to dry out, they'll split and check rapidly. The ideal situation is to dock (cut to length) logs immediately after they are felled and coat the ends with Anchorseal. It's about $20 per gallon at expensive places (Woodcraft). and keeps the wood wet.

You don't need much wood to stay busy turning stuff. The available stock in my area is huge. I have a chainsaw and keep my eyes open for folks felling trees. I have not needed to go further than my own street to keep myself busy.

Starting out, I suggest you get one of Richard Raffan's books. My wife gave one to me about designing bowls - it had good basic information on cutting blanks etc. without going through infinite detail on turning techniques.

Top Bottom