Getting started - my first pens and pencils

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JCJRSmith

Got my lathe last week at the Woodcraft sale, and now that things have warmed up around here, I spent some time this evening giving this pen turning thing a shot.

Now I'm hooked :biggrin:

The black set was done first, pen then pencil. Then I did the silver set for SWMBO.

So, how did I do?

Attachments

• First Turnings Black.jpg
    First Turnings Black.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 260
  • First Turnings Silver.jpg
    First Turnings Silver.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 242
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Silver

Hi, Well done, they look brill. I have recently joined the IAP. been turning pens a while now but didn't know there were so may "penhatters" out there until this winter when it got too cold for the workshop here in the UK.

JCJRSmith

Thanks all. I am having a blast with this.

And yes, those are my very first pens and pencils. Prior to turning those I had put exacly one piece of wood in the lathe and spent some time fooling about with it. I read a lot of posts, guides and tutorials, and watched a bunch of videos prior to doing the first pen.

Since I did those four, I have done 3 in oak (2 of which survived - see below) :biggrin:, one in maple, and about 5 more in rosewood.

I also discovered the meaning of the term "catch" when one of the oak pens blew apart off the brass tube.

I had no idea how much fun this was going to be.

JCJRSmith

Hide your credit card you are ADDICTED!!!!!!:biggrin::eek:

Operators are stading by :biggrin:

The manager of the local Woodcraft warned me that I probably would have been better off finding a local crack dealer and giving my money to him - it will cost me less in the long run. :biggrin:

Pocono Bill

First Turnings

Welcome addict. It is always hard to give judgement from a picture, but I congratulate you on choice of components. I have seen some ugly combinations of woods and component finishes, but yours are really appealing.

I suggest you put these first pens/pencils aside so you can look back on them later. I have no idea where my first pen got to. I must have made a half dozen since then for my personal use and they disappear as well.

One last thing- how about sharing with us your choice of finishing/ buffing.

Top Bottom